I'm in the market for new tires - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
GM Standard IFS Trucks & SUV's All discussion of full sized IFS Trucks, SUV's to include Suburban

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 02-06-2002, 11:13 AM
NEO

I\'m in the market for new tires

I will be purchasing new tires in the next 2-3 weeks. I have looked at Goodyear Wranglers, Kelly Springfield, Hoosier and whoever makes the Wild Country. I have yet to make up my mind. I did a search for HOOSIER tires but could not find anything. Anyone have something good or bad to say about them? I'm leaning towards buying the Kelly's or Wild Country. Most of my driving is highway with occasional off-road.

1995 Chevrolet Silverado Z71
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 02-06-2002, 11:18 AM
72dreamer

Re: I\'m in the market for new tires

haven't heard anything on the kelleys. but wild countrys i heard last a good while for being a mudder. this an all-terrain or mud tire?

Marriage is like a skin graft, it may or may not take.
post #3 of (permalink) Old 02-06-2002, 11:21 AM

From what I've heard on this site, most people recommend the Cooper's for a mostly street driven vehicle, either the ST (all-terrian) or the STT (mud terrain). They are very reasonable on their prices, especially when compared to BFG. You will also get good wear out of them. I'm not sure, but I think most Cooper tires have a 40K mile warranty, too.

'02 Silverado 1/2 ton ext. cab, mods to come
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 02-06-2002, 12:12 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

You might get a good price for the Cooper's, but they wont last as long as BFG's. In the long run your better off spending the money for a better tire, like the old saying says you get what you pay for.

Just my opinion, good luck,

John

post #5 of (permalink) Old 02-06-2002, 12:12 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

You might get a good price for the Cooper's, but they wont last as long as BFG's. In the long run your better off spending the money for a better tire, like the old saying says you get what you pay for.

Just my opinion, good luck,

John

post #6 of (permalink) Old 02-06-2002, 12:46 PM

2001tahoe,
Thats an inaccurate statement. thier milages will be roughly the same. actually cooper is rated with a higher mialre for comparable tires that are the BFGs. and if you've got a heavy foot and like to spin em a bit on take-off you had ebtter get the coopers.i like the way mine are working out for me very well. 12,000 miles on them and the only ewear i can see is that the sipes have opened up...which is a good thing

This is taken the day before i siped em.

<font color=red>96 Z-71 EXTcab, richmond 3.73, detroit rear, cold air, dual flowmasters, new drive-train </font color=red>
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 18-678344-newtread.jpg (59.5 KB, 0 views)
post #7 of (permalink) Old 02-06-2002, 12:52 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

In my opinion, BFG's AT are the way to go. The price isnt too bad and they are the best tires I've ever had.

post #8 of (permalink) Old 02-06-2002, 01:23 PM

well i cant say anything bad about BFG ATs aside from the fack that they clog with mud, but all A/Tsdo that. i had them on before the STTs and they did alright, but i prefer the STTs by a longshot. its all personal preferance though.
---Peacock

<font color=red>96 Z-71 EXTcab, richmond 3.73, detroit rear, cold air, dual flowmasters, new drive-train </font color=red>
post #9 of (permalink) Old 02-06-2002, 01:26 PM
72dreamer

here's some prices on some 285s. discount tire sells the bfg at for $166 and their mts for $170. national tire and wheel sells the bfg at for $167 and their mts for $182.

i couldn't afford that and really needed tires but wanted some muds so i got the mastercraft courser muds for $122. nothing could beat that and after 18k miles i feel i can get that many miles out of em and more. i'm pushing for the 40k mark. i'll post if it happens.

now i can't say about the bfg muds cuz i've never had em. i do have the bfg ats on my old pickup and they seem to not wear. i've had those for a longer amount of time but they don't get near as much miles as my muds.

Marriage is like a skin graft, it may or may not take.
post #10 of (permalink) Old 02-06-2002, 02:00 PM

yours and the STTs are essentially the same thing...like chevy and GMC. i got mine for 474 which is like $118/tire. tifetime rotation and all that stuff. did ahev to pay an extra$10 per tire to cover everything. without that they'd fix defect, but now i can go out and slash a tire and they'll replace it.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode