Newbie's got a question - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
GM Standard IFS Trucks & SUV's All discussion of full sized IFS Trucks, SUV's to include Suburban

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 02-06-2002, 06:07 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

Newbie\'s got a question

Hey guys, how's it going?
First off, I have a 90 GMC 4X4 shortbox, regular cab.
My problem is intermittent but fairly scary.
After turning a corner it SOMETIMES starts vibrating and the steering gets vague and unresponsive and it pulls to the right.

Here's what I have checked, u-joints, tie-rod, balljoints, halfshafts. Everything seems alright and for most of the time it is.

I am thinking it is the steering box going bad or CV joints are starting to go. Any Ideas guys?

Thanks,
Mike

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 02-06-2002, 10:00 AM

Re: Newbie\'s got a question

heck the CVs for play. I"m not sure how to test a steering box or any of that stuff. ya might could try and brace it somehow and see if thats teh problem (yes i know that sounds red-neck. it was my jeff foxworthy impression)
---Peacock

<font color=red>96 Z-71 EXTcab, richmond 3.73, detroit rear, cold air, dual flowmasters, new drive-train </font color=red>
post #3 of (permalink) Old 02-06-2002, 10:13 AM

have you had it alighned lately??? If so crawl under your front suspension and make sure that all the cam bolts are tight. I had a similar problem and thats what it was. This occured because the idiots at sears frogot to tighten the bolts down adquatily.

95 K2500 Silverado 350 ex cab
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 02-06-2002, 10:39 AM
72dreamer

make sure all lug nuts are on, weights on rims could be missing, belts on tires are probably busted, etc.

an alignment shop will tell you what it is and tell you the damage to your wallet too.

Marriage is like a skin graft, it may or may not take.
post #5 of (permalink) Old 02-07-2002, 08:12 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

Thanks fo rthe help guys.

Last night I replaced the front pads and rotors as they were hurting.

I think I am going to replace the balll joints, tie rod ends, and idler arm. None of them are bad but I think they are starting to show their age and the little bit of slop in each on gives me this big vibration(which by the way, I didn't feel once since I posted this). I also found one of my tires has a fairly large chunk out of the tread, so they will get rebalanced this weekend.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode