Pro Comp Lift info PLEASE - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
GM Standard IFS Trucks & SUV's All discussion of full sized IFS Trucks, SUV's to include Suburban

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 02-04-2002, 05:05 PM Thread Starter

Pro Comp Lift info PLEASE

As some of you may know my last truck was just totaled (not my fault[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/crazy.gif[/img])
So I have been shopping around for the last few weeks, and looked at a lot of "junk"
(Oil leaks, shot front ends, poor body repairs, mileage from hell, etc...[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/frown.gif[/img])
Anywho, I am going to look at one that has a Procomp 4" lift on it, and 33"s I have had a couple IFS lifted trucks before but I always used "6 inch Superlift" so I am have little knowledge on "Procomp"
What is your HONEST opinion of Procomp ?
This 4" lift is really a 4"-6" isn't it? (I would plan on boosting it up to 6" and upgrading to 35"s [img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/smile.gif[/img])
Doesn't Procomp sell a "stage 1" and a "stage 2" lift ? what is the difference?? and how can I tell what this truck has???
Are there any common weaknesses to look for on Procomp

Scooby Dooby Doo !!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 02-04-2002, 05:51 PM
Can't Get Enough

Re: Pro Comp Lift info PLEASE

As far as I know Procomp does not make a 4". At least I have never heard of them. There are a lot of things that I think make the Procomp kits weak. Shotty materials and welds. I don't like their drop brackets for the t-bars. They are only held on with 3 bolts. It is basically a block that lowers the t-bars. Most other kits are a block but also angle forward to provide more support. I don't the way the drop crossmember bolt together. I also do not like the way the upper control arm drop brackets are made. When I go to 4WPW "the kings of Procomp" I am always amazed when I go over and look at the kit. When I would hold up components of my Cepek kit they were heavy. When I hold up pieces of the Procomp kit they weight less than half of my Cepek kit.

This is just all my little opinion. There are still tons of guys out there who have not had any problems with their Procomp kits. But when my brother managed a 4WD shop they replaced Procomp lifts on the average of 1-2 a month with Cepek kits.

Laters, Ryan

1999 Suburban 6.5" Cepek Lift and 3" Body lift, 37x12.5x15 SSR's
post #3 of (permalink) Old 02-04-2002, 06:05 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

The Pro Comp is OK for show but it won't stand up to much abuse. I haven't actually broken anything but I recently had mine dissassembled, straightened out and welded because the entire subframe assembly had shifted from about 3 to 4 years of abuse. I discovered this as my front axles starting making noise. I'm not sure I'd want to buy a truck with a used Pro Comp lift on it especially if you can tell that the truck has been wheeled at all. I never got a straight answer as to what the difference is between stage I and stage II and I've never heard of a 4" Pro Comp lift. As for weaknesses to look for, take a good long look at the subframe assembly and make sure it hasn't shifted out of alignment. This ended up costing me some money.

[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/wink.gif[/img]Somebody once said "Go Big" . . . Well we're goin' Full Size[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/wink.gif[/img]
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 02-04-2002, 06:17 PM Thread Starter

It's funny you say that cause I remember looking at them in the past when comparing lifts myself, That why I always bought "Superlift" instead of Procomp[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/wink.gif[/img] They did "seem" to be lighter duty.
Dick Cepek always had a very long wait (And I hate to wait, when I spend money) But I have always heard they are very good also.

I don't know, maybe I will just keep looking for "un"lifted truck and then put another Superlift on it, I have never had a single problem with them, and I do 4 wheel ![img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/smile.gif[/img]

I was just thinking it would be easier this time to buy one that was already lifted (maybe cheaper too![img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/smile.gif[/img])

That was good feedback about the "returns" with Procomp, Thanks, you may have saved me from problems!

Anyone else with knowledge of procomp? (And actually use 4wd)

Scooby Dooby Doo !!!
post #5 of (permalink) Old 02-04-2002, 06:23 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

I haven't had any problem with mine. I do abuse it off road alot. It is true that it can shift after extreme wheeling, so I just welded everything together. I think it as is strong as all the other lifts out there. I am not sure about the 4" lift mine is the stage II 6". You should call pro-comp or look on their web site. I think it is explorer pro-comp. com.

post #6 of (permalink) Old 02-04-2002, 06:29 PM

lookin in the pro comp catalog it does show that pro comp has a 4" lift. i belive it is called a stage I, then the stage II is the 6" lift. i belive that is the only difference. I have a 6" pro comp lift on my blazer and really like it. I do use the truck off-road, i haven't had any problems with it yet.

1993 K15 Blazer Pro Comp Stg. II 6"lift - 35x12.50 BFG's
post #7 of (permalink) Old 02-04-2002, 07:50 PM
Mud in my Veins

Just throw that truck in the "junk" category. I know some of the people on here have ProComp lifts, but from what I have seen of them, they are junk. ProComp is 4WPW's master, and also is rather disturbingly like Disney, trying to slowly take over their field of business.[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/tongue.gif[/img] Name me an offroad related product that ProComp doesn't make a watered down, half ass version of?
Yes, they do make a 4" kit. Stage II kits just have more stuff in them than Stage I kits. I forget what. When I first had the notion of lifting my Blazer I was all about the ProComp lift and tire/wheel deals that you could get in the mags. A guy at a 4x4 store actually took me to the side one day and showed me how big of crap ProComp's stuff was. Sad part was this guy worked at a 4WPW![img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/laugh.gif[/img]

Still got it......
post #8 of (permalink) Old 02-04-2002, 09:23 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Not trying to start anything here, but does anyone that has negative comments about Pro-comp actually have first hand experience with pro-comp? I mean do you actually have one of their lifts or is it all based on heresay. Or is it just because 4WPW sells them.

post #9 of (permalink) Old 02-04-2002, 10:56 PM
I Might Just Know What I'm Talking About

Well, I can tell you that my cousin who owned his own off-road shop for 10 plus years, and who's shop has installed hundreds of IFS lifts, thinks they are crap. When I went to lift my truck, I had no real clue as to which kit was better. Before I bought my 97 I had owned only older solid axle trucks, all lifted. I knew how to lift those and what kits were better etc. When it came to my IFS however, I left it up to him to tell me. He said he had a lot of problems with procomp, (I had asked about them) and that he would not be selling them anymore and that he would not put one on my truck. At that time he recommened Trailmaster for a 4" kit and Super Lift for a 6" kit. He spouted off many reasons as to why, all of which sounded good to me. That would have to be taken as first hand info, and not hearsay.

post #10 of (permalink) Old 02-05-2002, 11:28 AM
Can't Get Enough

I got same info as TxFireman. Like I said earlier my brother managed a 4WD shop where they replaced Procomp lifts VERY often cause they SUCKED. I have seen the guys and the problems. ALSO The shop where my brother worked was SOLD to guess who??? 4WPW. A guy I know that worked at both shops and now is the Asst. Manager at 4WPW still thinks Procomp is crap and still preaches the praises of Dick Cepek. He sells Procomp cause that is their whore. BUT 4WPW sells it all Superlift, Skyjacker, Rancho, Trailmaster etc etc. The install guys, the ones who worked at the shop BEFORE and AFTER it was bought by 4WPW, say that Procomp is crap. All of them that I have asked would install a Cepek lift on their IFS if they had one. Of course most don't.

I hope this all counts as first hand and not hearsay.

Laters, Ryan

1999 Suburban 6.5" Cepek Lift and 3" Body lift, 37x12.5x15 SSR's
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode