distributor/ignition - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
GM Standard IFS Trucks & SUV's All discussion of full sized IFS Trucks, SUV's to include Suburban

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 02-04-2002, 02:14 PM
72dreamer

distributor/ignition

i have a '98 5.7litre v8 with fuel injection. my question is what kind or what type of ignition setup is stock on this truck. i was looking for this stuff on the net to buy and came across this MSD picture. now the pic looks like what's under my hood but the replacement parts has a note about the product.
Note: For Use With Non-Computerized (4-pin Module) HEIs Only
that throws me off cuz it looks like the photo but says for non-computerized which i believe mine is. what gives?

Marriage is like a skin graft, it may or may not take.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 18-675800-msd.jpg (14.5 KB, 0 views)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 02-04-2002, 02:34 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Re: distributor/ignition

from everything I have seen that setup is meant for the older HEI replacement, but I dont know what year exactly they changed over to completely computer controlled. My guess is that whatever year vacuum advance was switched out for electronic advance that would be the cutoff, but I can's say for sure. You should be able to pull your distributor cap and look at your module, count the number of plug-in pins, and know for sure. the newer ones i believe came with six pins instead of four.

1986Chev 1-1/4 Ton, D60/14FF/4.56 gears/400/SM465/NP205/13" Lift, 46"x19" Firestone Field and Roads
post #3 of (permalink) Old 02-04-2002, 02:58 PM

Hey 72, where did you find that MSD kit?

1973 K20 - 350/350/205 Dana44 with large hubs/14bFF
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 02-04-2002, 03:28 PM
72dreamer

it's on the msd website under new 2002 products.

post #5 of (permalink) Old 02-04-2002, 07:38 PM
Mud in my Veins

72, that's for the 70's and late 60's GM HEI systems. Most definately not for your truck. Your ignition system is much more complicated. You can run a MSD box and wires, but not much else can be messed with.

Still got it......
post #6 of (permalink) Old 02-05-2002, 08:47 AM
72dreamer

yeah the sparkplug boots going into the distributor are straight and plug in sideways. i haven't seen a distributor cap like that yet on the net. i can't even find one on gm performance parts online. guess i'll have to start calling around. i just wanted to try something other than the dealer oem part. i'm going on 90k miles and would just like to change all that crap out now.
i changed the spark plugs @ 87k miles and it didn't really need it. the old plugs looked dusty and a little burnt (duh!) but still usable. but i changed em out anyways.
also wanna change spark plug wires cuz there were some i had to pull apart from each other. they had melted together. i just wrapped those spots up with electrical tape.

post #7 of (permalink) Old 02-05-2002, 01:50 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Use a new stock cap, but get wires from magnacore. The old HEI stuff won't wonk on your computerized ignition. Even a lot of the inductive ignitions won't work with GM. The real problem with stock ignition comes with boost or RPM's over 4k.

post #8 of (permalink) Old 02-05-2002, 05:41 PM
72dreamer

i did a search on these magnacore wires and didn't find much. i did find a price of $85 and $119 for em tho. and a comment on them about not being worth the money spent on em.
so would you recommend msd 8.5 superconductor or accel 300+ race wires? i ask cuz i can get them from my summit catalog.

post #9 of (permalink) Old 02-05-2002, 07:15 PM
Mud in my Veins

MSD Super Conductor wires are great man, I love mine.[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/cool.gif[/img] I got the red ones, but you can barely tell with all the baked on mud and dirt.[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/laugh.gif[/img] Thing idled smoother just from me putting the wires on.[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/smile.gif[/img]

Still got it......
post #10 of (permalink) Old 02-06-2002, 12:02 AM

the msd stuff in the pic is for the older trucks. you can change out your wires and i think the coil, but thats about it. unless(if i think right) you feel like replacing the whole distributor, cap and rotor with an MSD aftermarket unit....only around $350..$380...ish... [img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/crazy.gif[/img]

i have the msd sc 8.5 wires and they're great [img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/cool.gif[/img]

Shorts

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode