1996 S-10 - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
GM Small Trucks & SUV's All discussion of S-Class Trucks and SUV's

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 06-17-2001, 01:42 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

1996 S-10

My dad's friend owns a used car dealership. He's starting to look for a car for me and I had to have a truck and I had to have a Chevy. Between the ramifications my dad set, I think it's pretty much set that my dad's friend is looking for a 1996 either GMC or Chevy S truck. It will be 4.3, 2wd which sucks, and possibly manual trans. I am wondering what you all think about this. What are your experiences with these-like em, loath em, and why? Thanks for any help.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 06-18-2001, 01:10 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Re: 1996 S-10

I would love to have a '94 or newer body style, and 2wd wouldn't be too bad (less stuff to tear out for a SFA swap). [img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/wink.gif[/img]
Can your Dad adopt me for a couple of months? [img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/wink.gif[/img] [img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/smile.gif[/img] [img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/mad.gif[/img]

He who toots his own horn is talking out of his A$$.
post #3 of (permalink) Old 06-18-2001, 01:26 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

You must beg your dad for 4WD.

Really seriously beg him.

A friend of mine has that a 2WD S-10 '00 and he was in the same situation you are in "his dad also would buy him a pick up" and my friend would do anything to have a 4x4.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 06-19-2001, 09:32 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

Are you going to beg your Dad for a 4x4er?

post #5 of (permalink) Old 06-19-2001, 10:14 PM
Veteran

You must do whatever it takes to get the 4x4. I had a 2WD S-10 and had to trade it for my Z71. I was tired of being stuck every time it snowed

1994 Z71 350, Xcab, Sportside, 285/75/16 BFG AT. Trailmaster 4" lift
post #6 of (permalink) Old 06-20-2001, 01:39 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

And the benefits of having a 2WD truck are..........

Yes I know there are benefits but WTF I mean if you're going to get a truck get a 4x4. You will be much better off w/ a 4x4.

I also know there are people that would argue w/ me that I am wrong (dune racing, jumping w/ a 2WD)....but from where you are much better off w/ a 4x4.

post #7 of (permalink) Old 06-20-2001, 08:19 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

The reason I can't get a 4x4 is that I have to get a "practical" vehicle with good gas mileage etc. Also, by dad won't let me purchase a vehicle worth more than $7000, basically because we only carry liability. I cannot afford the extra insurance. I may be able to afford the gas, but the initial purchase of a 4X4 S-10 with in the nieghborhood of 70,000 miles will exceed $7000. This vehicle has to last me through college probably, and I have to pay him back all the loan, no interest luckily. He just keeps on saying there is more parts to break, which is true, but it doesn't mean that it will explode because it's 4X4. Oh well, sorry guys I CANNOT persuade him. I already tried three or four times. But, from the feedback you guys gave me, I don't think that I'll be too disapointed with a 4X2. Also you have to understand what my brothers before me had. My oldest brother has a 1991 Firebird V6 Auto, pushing 130,000 miles. My second oldest brother has a 1995 Camaro V6 Auto with about 80,000 miles I think. Neither are sports cars if you ask me, and neither are fun in the winter, TRUST ME. I did plenty o pushing the Camaro this winter in the ****ty midwest winters. I think that this S-10 with a couple sand tubes in the back will be the closest to off-roading I will come until I have some more money farther down the road.

post #8 of (permalink) Old 06-20-2001, 09:26 PM
Veteran

keep a snow shovel with you. Snow makes a good weight when it hits you unexpectedly.

When I had my 2WD S-10 I used that method a few times and it helps earn a few points with the boss when you shovel their sidewalks just so you can get home [img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/smile.gif[/img]

1994 Z71 350, Xcab, Sportside, 285/75/16 BFG AT. Trailmaster 4" lift
post #9 of (permalink) Old 06-20-2001, 09:56 PM

<font face="comic Sans MS"> Get an older one. Don't look at this new stuff. Go for one in the late 80's to early 90's. You can get a heck of a deal on them. Plus (in my opinion) the older squared off body style is far better...

The 4x4 equipment on a vehicle will subtract only a negligable amount from your gas mileage. Not very much extra weight, etc...

Have him talk to us... Even if it's just for snow and on-road use, 4x4 is far better. Stucks suck, so if you're listening "dad" let this guy get something that isn't likely to get stuck. 4x.

The ones with the 4.3L are very reliable. Plus these are plentiful in parts yards, meaning that rather than buying things from expensive parts stores, you can go to a "junk" yard and grab parts for very little money, slap it in, and be on your way again, without spending ludicrous amounts of money for newer stuff. </font>

Tim "Sandman"

ORC Land Use columnist:
My May Column
post #10 of (permalink) Old 06-21-2001, 11:28 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

Hopefully ... if you want to....get your dad to read these threads...or just print it out for him to make things easier.

Dad,

My friend has a 2WD S-10 he absolutely loved it at first, until he started to get stuck. Get this he was just turning around on a dirt road...no mud was involved.

The 4x4 is has many more +s then the 2WD. 1) it is so much harder to get stuck in a 4x4. 2) as mentioned above the gas mileage is barly effected 3) your son will be happy 4) just do it dad [img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/smile.gif[/img]

ok i hope this helps you out!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode