Bed cage? - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
GM Small Trucks & SUV's All discussion of S-Class Trucks and SUV's

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 06-14-2001, 05:48 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Bed cage?

Anyone on this list have a bed cage with reservoired shocks? Pictures? I'm planning on making one for my truck next. Would like some more info if anyone has some. Thanks.

Jason

2000 GMC Sonoma, 4.3, auto, 6.5" fabtech lift with 31" BFG mud terrains
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 06-15-2001, 12:08 AM

Re: Bed cage?

I've seen a few, mostly on Toyotas and F*rds.

If I'm thinking correctly you want the rear hoops to mount your shocks on. A true bed cage would be sorta useless without a cab cab to tie it and the frame into. Here's a photo I found on a Toyota BBS user's web site:

The link to the web page is http://www.home.earthlink.net/~orvacian

Very simply, you just make a bar that goes across the bed, and two "hoops" or bent tubes that go through the bed and tie into the frame through either welding, bolts, or a combination of both.

Then you get some pre-made tabs from places like Fabtech and weld them on for the mounts for your shock eyes, usually heim joints for the long reservoir or "pre-runner" shocks. You can lay the reservoirs on the crossbar and use those metal hose clamps to tie them down.

Cut holes in your bed to get the shock through and allow enough room for forward and backward travel. Pay close attention to how you mount the shocks on the bottom, so that you don't end up getting them too low on the axle to cause some wrap problems and possible heavy rock damage!

I think that's about it? I don't have a photo right off hand that I could show you; I'm doing this all from memory. My buddy with the Toyota loves his set up though. I'm not sure I could cut through my bed that easily!

Along the same lines, I saw a guy with a full size Chevy that had the full suspension set up done through Fabtech and also a 3" body lift. The body lift gave him enough room to create a smaller bar and hoop setup to allow his shocks to stay under the bed (so he could carry his sand toys). To tell you the truth it made much more sense, as the rear springs only got up to about 10" of travel (with limiter straps) and they were damn good springs (Deavers). He had the lay the shocks down a little bit but that didn't affect anything much.

Hope that helps.

J.R. [img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/cool.gif[/img]

http://members.nbci.com/desertride/index.htm
post #3 of (permalink) Old 06-15-2001, 01:51 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

Thanks. Has anyone on here made one for their truck? I know most of you guys are 4wd, but there has got to be a few 2wd guys. Not that this couldn't be done on a 4wd, but I've only seen them on 2wd prerunners and such.

2000 GMC Sonoma, 4.3, auto, 6.5" fabtech lift with 31" BFG mud terrains
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 06-16-2001, 12:57 AM

As far as rear ends go they are the same unless you are running a 3 or 4 link suspension system. Leaf springs are leaf springs, my friend!

I had a '90 Toyota that I was going to go all-out with the pre-runner thing, and it was a 4x4. It is ENTIRELY possible to do these rear-end suspension mods.

The front end is where you get all the problems.

J.R. [img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/cool.gif[/img]

http://members.nbci.com/desertride/index.htm
post #5 of (permalink) Old 06-18-2001, 12:20 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Check this site out http://s10-4x4.com/Main/ Look on the BBS there is a whole section devoted to prerunners.They might be able to help out.

Good luck

He who toots his own horn is talking out of his A$$.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode