Catalytic Converters - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
GM Small Trucks & SUV's All discussion of S-Class Trucks and SUV's

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 06-14-2001, 04:36 PM Thread Starter

Catalytic Converters

Anyone having problems with their catalytic converter? My friend and I both have 4.3's in our trucks and they are both going out. Is this common on the 4.3? Can I just shoot some sheet rock screws into it to get rid of the baffles rattling?

If it has wheels or a skirt,
You can't afford it!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 06-14-2001, 04:40 PM

Re: Catalytic Converters

<font face="Comic Sans MS">How many miles are on the trucks? Catalytic converters can and do wear out. If you have over 100k miles or around there, then it's likely that your cat's dying could be normal wear. Common for higher milage vehicles. [img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/crazy.gif[/img]

No, you cannot use screws to secure the insides of the cat. You need to either hollow yours out (not recommended) or fix it the right way and spend the $150 and get the legal fix. [img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/crazy.gif[/img]</font>

Tim "Sandman"

ORC Land Use columnist:
My May Column
post #3 of (permalink) Old 06-16-2001, 11:05 AM Thread Starter

I have 74,xxx and my friend has 91,xxx. I thought that mine would last longer. Is this going to be a problem if I let it go for a couple of months or will it screw up some oxygen sensors after a while?

If it has wheels or a skirt,
You can't afford it!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 06-16-2001, 12:11 PM

<font face="Comic Sans MS">If you let it go and it's already rattling (the converter) particles of that crap are going to eventually cause the exhaust to plug up and cause your exhaust manifolds to glow brightly and cause you to have no performance above idle... [img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/crazy.gif[/img] But your muffler is probably going out anyway and wouldn't be much of a loss to replace it, since some decent yet inexpensive ones can be had... [img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/crazy.gif[/img] Shouldn't screw up any sensors (unless you have an OBD II, which is 96 or newer I believe, in which case you'd have two O2 sensors, one before and one after the cat and that could cause some drivability problems)... [img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/crazy.gif[/img] But other than that you should be ok for a while. When you notice the performance dropping off a good bit, then you need to replace about immediately or ASAP at least... [img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/crazy.gif[/img]</font>

Tim "Sandman"

ORC Land Use columnist:
My May Column
post #5 of (permalink) Old 06-20-2001, 09:17 PM

Be sure what part is actually rattling on it. Mine started a pretty lousy steel drum band sound around 106K and it was the outer heat shield coming loose at the front end. The actually cat was solid and secure. I bought a giant sized hose clamp at Home Despot and wrapped it around the outside. Problem solved for less than $3.00 US.

post #6 of (permalink) Old 06-21-2001, 08:42 PM

I got a hi perf cat for about $100 at a local muffler shop.

90K5

post #7 of (permalink) Old 06-25-2001, 12:07 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

you can knock the insides out of it, and gets tons of power in the mean time till you can get another one. Not that bad of a job either takes about 1/2 hour, the exaust gets a lot louder too!

post #8 of (permalink) Old 06-28-2001, 03:35 PM Thread Starter

Can I just unbolt the u bolts and lossen the clamps? Then how do I hollow it out? Just root around in there with a stick and pull the baffles out? My blazer is a 97 so will I have problems with the before mentioned oxy sensors by just hollowing it out?

Keep Tailgating Me
I'm Reloading!
post #9 of (permalink) Old 06-29-2001, 02:21 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Take it off the truck and then take a pipe with a pretty big hammer and knock the insides out. All it is, is a hard material like a glass, once you hit it, it will shatter and fall out just keep hitting at it till it all comes out you'll be able to see right through it. It looks like a honeycomb when you first take it off. You will notice a huge increase in power and the exaust will smell like a 60's truck with no cat. Enjoy

post #10 of (permalink) Old 06-29-2001, 02:53 PM

<font face="Comic Sans MS">The computer will cause it to run either rich or lean because of the second O2 sensor. I'm guessing it'll cause it to run lean in an attempt to clean up the emissions, which is considerably bad for the engine. Just spend $150 and get a new one. You won't notice any performance difference at all with no cat or hollowed out cat than you would with a brand new one. Oops I almost forgot, being an OBD II rig you will lose performance with the catalyst not working for the previously mentioned reasons... [img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/crazy.gif[/img]</font>

Tim "Sandman"

ORC Land Use columnist:
My May Column
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode