how much difference does k&n make?? - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
GM Small Trucks & SUV's All discussion of S-Class Trucks and SUV's

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 06-14-2001, 04:12 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

how much difference does k&n make??

I just installed a k&n air filter on my 86 blazer, as well as platinum spark plugs. I noticed a real difference in pickup, as well as smoother acceleration. Does anyone know how much the horsepower increase(approximately) For $75 cdn, I definately reccommend this upgrade.
thanks,
86 blazer 2.8 tbi 4x4

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 06-14-2001, 08:01 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Re: how much difference does k&n make??

You should notice even more performance if you put on a good flowing exaust system. It is just my opinion, but I feel that if you cant get the air out of the cylinders then you cant pull it in either. The exaust and air intake work hand in hand together.

post #3 of (permalink) Old 06-14-2001, 11:21 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

cuttingedge is correct. exhaust is a very good upgrade for power. The k&n filter is also good for more pick up. just remember if you are going to be playing in the dirt that the k&n uses oil as a filter element. oil+dirt=very sticky mud. you should clean and recharge a k&n after every dirt or sand outing. if you go off road much it cuold wind up costing you quite a bit of $$$$$$$$$.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 06-17-2001, 12:16 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

i put a k&n in my 96 blazer and it made little difference. i changed to platinum plugs and it made a bit of difference, however the original ones had seen better days anyhow.

post #5 of (permalink) Old 07-24-2001, 04:13 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

I have noticed pick up in all the trucks I have put one on. But in the mud or any wet weather driving I would put the paper one back in. You can get a k&n wet and it will let some water through. If you get a paper one wet it will not let water through till you get the whole filter wet. Then just trow it away.

post #6 of (permalink) Old 07-25-2001, 01:12 AM

<font face="Comic Sans MS">Actually the K&N should let less water through than a regular paper filter... This is because of the oil that you squirted on it every so often like you were supposed to. That helps to repel water... I've had experience with this on my '79 suburban with an open element filter, the K&N seems to block more water/mud than the paper did... [img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/crazy.gif[/img]</font>

Tim "Sandman"

ORC Land Use columnist:
My May Column
post #7 of (permalink) Old 07-25-2001, 08:56 AM

You got mud through the aircleaner? Did it hurt the engine or didn't it get into the engine just through the airfilter..?

Kevin

Reason To Offroad: When you were a kid you played in the mud... Why Change?
post #8 of (permalink) Old 07-25-2001, 01:40 PM

<font face="Comic Sans MS">No mud has gotten through my K&N air filter. No water has gotten in there through it either. The setup I have on the 'burb (it's on 35's) is a 5" high x 14" diameter K&N round air filter. So far it has nothing covering it so it's open element. Not the best setup but it should eventually have a snorkel. But so far the K&N hasn't let me down by allowing any of the junk kicked up by the front tires, etc to get in. (it's got a 454 providing the power to spin those tires by the way, works great... Until the wheel speed hits 40mph and the engine hits redline cause the stupid transmission refuses to upshift. [img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/frown.gif[/img] Or until I high center on the 14 bolt FF (equivalent to Dana 70) rear diff. But anywho, I'm wandering far off topic... Bottom line is it works well for me...</font>

Tim "Sandman"

ORC Land Use columnist:
My May Column
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode