`96 ZR2 Air conditioning not working - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
GM Small Trucks & SUV's All discussion of S-Class Trucks and SUV's

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 06-13-2001, 02:18 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

`96 ZR2 Air conditioning not working

Hi all,

I was wondering if any of you might know why my AC quit working in my truck. I have hardly ever used it in the past but now that it's hot and about 90+ % humidity I am getting tired of dealing with the warm/hot air that blows through the vents. Driving down the highway at 70 or 75 MPH with both windows down hurts your ears after a while.

The compressor turns on when I turn the controls to AC. Even with the AC on MAX and the fan on HI, it's still warm or hot air (hot if the truck has been sitting out in the sun and it's hot inside).

I would have to think that I need a recharge... but how did I lose all the refrigerant in the first place? The AC worked as late as last fall. The system is R134A, right? Can I recharge the system myself (I see cans of R134A in the auto stores all the time) or should I have it done? How much refrigerant would I need?

Sorry for all the questions, never done this before.

<font color=blue>I like animals. They taste good.</font color=blue> [img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/wink.gif[/img]
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 06-13-2001, 09:56 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Re: `96 ZR2 Air conditioning not working

You can go to wal-mart and get a kit to recharge your ac sytem with all the hook ups and two cans of refridgerant and lubricating oil for around $30 to $40 bucks. If you can't get it there you can get it prettymuch everywhere.

post #3 of (permalink) Old 06-13-2001, 11:55 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Re: `96 ZR2 Air conditioning not working

It real simple to do it yourself. You can get the cans anywhere for around 9-12 bucks. All you do is make sure you put it on the Low Pressure line. Put it in half a can incriments. When Low Pressure line feels real cold and with condincation, then it should be ok. Oh, and do it with the car on and AC on too.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode