Shocks - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
GM Small Trucks & SUV's All discussion of S-Class Trucks and SUV's

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 06-07-2001, 08:54 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

Shocks

My '97 Jimmy rides extremely soft down the road and I think it's time for a new set of shocks. I have heard that Monroe SensaTrac are a good shock, but I just wanted to check with everyone here. I want a firmer ride, but don't want to be beat up riding in it. Just a nice controlled ride that doesn't terribly sway through corners, like it does now. I would like to leave my torsion bars alone if possible. Thanks for the help.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 06-07-2001, 12:47 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Re: Shocks

Bilstein 5100 series are the best shock you can buy (without going to a full bread race shock).. They run about $60 each and are valved specificaly per application, not just length of shock (like most companies do).. Or you can go with King or SAW and get 2.5 external bypass for $600 a shock.. [img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/wink.gif[/img][img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/laugh.gif[/img]
I run these Bilsteins on my wifes 3" lifted XJ.. Rides wonderfull, better than stock.. I had CRaPncho 5000's on my S-10 for a few years and my kidneys could no longer take it.. For a full size they may work fine but for us smaller trucks NO WAYYYY.. I have Fox 2.0 race shocks with rezevoirs on it now that ride awsome but at $120 or so a shock USED it is a bit much.. I may change over to the Bilsteins on the S-10 and use those Foxes on my buggy as extras I can change the valving on.. Do I spend $275 on new shocks or fix all the mounting locations for the Foxes so I can use all there travel on the truck?!?!?

post #3 of (permalink) Old 06-09-2001, 08:43 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

Weazel I found the 5100's but have no clue what to get. I am getting the t-master lift, but have no clue on what the measurements for the shocks should be. Can you help me out?

This is what they have. How do I determine what size I will need. 5100 Series Bilstein - Standard Body
Since the late 1960's, Bilstein equipped race vehicles have been dominating Baja and the desert racing circuits of the southwest. With over 30 years of off-road racing shock development, Bilstein has now produced the most technologically advanced shock absorber for lifted trucks and SUV's Utilizing the single tube gas pressure concept, the 5100 Series are designed to enhance the ride and handling characteristics for lifted applications. The result is a smoother ride, increased control and durability for on and off-road use. Yellow Finish, rubber bushing mounts. 5100 Bilstein's $69 each.
Shock Travel/Body Extended length Collapsed Length
10" Standard Body 25.93" 15.91"
12" Standard Body 29.70" 17.91"
14" Standard Body 34.90" 20.75"

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 06-11-2001, 10:29 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

I would give TMaster a call and find out what length shocks they use.. Then call a shop for the Bilsteins and they can set you up on the correct length.. Im almost sure the do have a shock for the 3-4" lift. (Rancho, Superlift, TMaster..)

post #5 of (permalink) Old 06-12-2001, 10:02 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

Thanks man. I am waiting on t-master to reply to the e-mail to find out the length. I will try Beilstein to see if they have them for 4" lift. I didn't see that on the chart but they possibly haven't put them on there yet. Thanks again.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode