COOLING - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
GM Small Trucks & SUV's All discussion of S-Class Trucks and SUV's

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 06-06-2001, 12:10 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

COOLING

I have a problem that I can't figure out nor can the mechanic that I took it too. I have a '91 S10 4D Blazer. The problem is that when I tow my boat the blazer gets hot (240 is coolest it gets). The boat is only a 16' and has a tandem axle trailer. (little speed boat) I unhitch the boat and the blazer does fine, run the A/C in town/highway no overheating, as long as I'm not towing. I have replaced the clutch fan, thermostat, and had it flushed. Are these cooling systems too small??? Do I need to get a bigger radiator??? Please help!!! The mechanic just wants to start changing parts with no troubleshooting!!!

NM4wheeler
'91 S10 Blazer
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 06-06-2001, 12:34 PM

Re: COOLING

Do you have a functioning transmission cooler? That would be my first shot. I might even consider an aftermarket add-on one pretty quickly.

Also, what kind of terrain (hills?)? Leave the tranny out of OD and put it in third or drive or whatever it's called in these.

Good luck!

4x4x4doors (Runs cool, looks rusty)

post #3 of (permalink) Old 06-06-2001, 02:03 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

I second what 4x4x4 said.. The water pump came off the V-8 series so it can push the water.. Next would be to look at a new radiator.. Get a 3 core vs stock 2 core.. Modine is a good name..

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 06-06-2001, 11:47 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Get the tranny cooler for sure. They cost next to nothing. If you really want to keep it cool try adding an electric fan in front of the radiator with a thermostat to kick it off and on. The fan and thermostat should cost just around $100. I have two 11 inch fans on my blazer and they keep my 305 v-8 cool even with the stock radiator.

post #5 of (permalink) Old 06-08-2001, 07:04 AM

I installed a Vette radiator when I did my V-8 conversion, and it cools fine, even pulling a 22' trailer with another S-10 blazer on it through the mountains in Kentucy. I fit very well, and I would suggest it to anyone. The trans cooler is a good investment also. If you can mount it somewhere not in front of the radiator, that will help even more.(not pushing hot air into the radiator.)
Blazernut

'91 S15 Jimmy 5.7L 4X4
post #6 of (permalink) Old 06-08-2001, 02:05 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

You did a V8 conversion? How do you like it? My stepdad and I were going to do one, but he decided against it.

post #7 of (permalink) Old 06-10-2001, 09:47 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

Did you say Kentucky????????
I live just south of Louisville. Been bustin' my butt trying to find a good place to get my truck dirty. If you know any good places to go wheeling near me, could you please let me know?

post #8 of (permalink) Old 06-18-2001, 12:49 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

74gt80, it depends on what you got and what you are going to swap in. If you have a 2.8, you will you will be pleased with what ever you go with. if you have a 4.3 and want to go to a 305 TBI, it wouldn't be worth it. I have heard that the 305 TPI is like a 350 TBI so you will notice a difference there. I went from a 2.8 to a 283 and I love it!!! I will be looking at getting a 305 someday, hopefully a TPI!!! [img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/smile.gif[/img] [img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/wink.gif[/img]

He who toots his own horn is talking out of his A$$.
post #9 of (permalink) Old 06-18-2001, 12:53 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

try this site http://www.lhtperformance.net/
and this one http://www.jagsthatrun.com/

He who toots his own horn is talking out of his A$$.
post #10 of (permalink) Old 06-21-2001, 11:54 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

It sounds like a problem I had with mine, it would go up to 260 though. This was with a new radiator and a flush. It turned out to be the impeller slipping on the water pump(junk rebuilt). Now I have a NEW water pump and 210 is the hottest it will run even in 95 degree traffic! The fac. cooling system for the 4.3 S10s is more than adequate when its working properly! Also the POS pump would "gurgle" air into the system that you could hear when you started the engine! NOT GOOD! I have pulled a 16' 2200# horse trailer with my truck thru hilly sections with no problem and NO Trans-cooler. Never tow in O/D and yes, a trans cooler is a good mod. for under $70 in most places.
Good Luck.
A.Smith

1989 GMC S-15 4x4 4.3L/700R-4, 3.08s, 31" Sport Kings For Sale
1985 S-10 4x4 Soon to have 3504BM/TH350/D44/14FF, 35" Boggers
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode