Small, anoying, weird, problems. - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
GM Small Trucks & SUV's All discussion of S-Class Trucks and SUV's

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 06-04-2001, 08:57 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Small, anoying, weird, problems.

For some reason or another a lot of small trivial things went wrong with my truck at one time. The drivers window motor screwed up. It would work and go allmost all the way down and then all the sudden it would stop and you would have to wait a minute and it would move like 2 inches and you would have to wait again. Shortly after that the windsheild wiper switch started going. It would work perfectly sometimes and others it would do whatever it wanted. Also sometimes it would swipe fast and others very slow like syrup was on the windsheild. You could put it on the slowest delay and it would wipe about every 2 seconds. Also the heater blower stopped all together but that was because the wire got pulled out of it and I have no idea how. I didn't even open the hood to unplug it in like a month before all this and it worked before and after the last time I went under the hood. The horn will work right sometimes and sometimes it sounds real muffled. Also, oh yeah there's more, sometimes the head lights will dim in and out real fast for no reason. Sometimes I'll be sitting at a light and it will do it with no drop in the amp reading. I notice it does it most the time when the truck is bouncing, but with the suspension as stiff as mine because of the t-bar crank and shakles in the back, the truck is usually bouncing. I figured it could be the alternator so I pulled off the belt and wiggled the pully and fan. The whole internal workings of the alternator moved back and forth and all around about 1/16 from center. I replaced the alternator and you can tell the truck is getting enough juice because it idles and runs a lot better. I also noticed that the wipers never are slow but still work sparadic and my turn signal blinks fast but not all the time. Sometimes it blinks at about 1/2 the speed it does when it got fast after the new alternator. I also replaced the window motor and it works perfectly now. Now if you're still reading this, here is my question. Are all these things linked some how? Could one component be causing all of this? And if not, what could have caused all this? Mudding? A short somewhere that fried a few things? I blew a fuse before all of this when a screwdriver in my hand got into the open cigarette lighter when I tried to change the station on the radio, sounds strange but it's true and even I got a laugh and a good scare out of it. But when I replaced the fuse all these things didn't happen after I replaced it. If any of you out there have any idea or at least a guess as to what is happening please let me know. Thanks.

Lack of engine proformance equals a limp shaft.
http://members.home.net/jm8881/blazer.html
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 06-04-2001, 10:26 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Re: Small, anoying, weird, problems.

Sounds like a ford.

post #3 of (permalink) Old 06-05-2001, 07:02 AM

Yeah, it does sound like some wierd F*rd problems we've had!

But seriously, I would suspect a common ground that's loose. Since the window is now behaving, I'd call that coincidence. Headlights/wiper/turn signal/horn all share that control pod switch and it's not unusual for that to go. Yours is a 93, I think, it's time.

Another frequent symptom of the switch is the wipers that make one sweep when you turn! Interesting.

4x4x4doors

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 06-05-2001, 05:12 PM

When the blinker is twice the speed it usually means that your blinker light is burnt out. But if it's only half the time I can't tell ya. I'd have your stearing column checked out with the controls. I had the same thing happen with my blazer only instead of stuff not working, all the sensors for "Check engine soon" went off then all this crazy stuff happened with my lights.

If it has wheels or a skirt,
You can't afford it!
post #5 of (permalink) Old 06-05-2001, 06:10 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

HEY HEY HEY! Don't call my truck a Ford, what did I ever do to you? Haha. Anyways, I'll check the column and also the ground. I hope it's a simple thing like a loose connection or ground. Don't feel much like taking apart my steering colomn. Also as I posted before this post my ABS and Brakes! light came on and stayed on around the same time all this happened but like the post says the brakes behave no differently and I still have very good braking. Thanks.

post #6 of (permalink) Old 06-05-2001, 08:31 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Thanks for all the reply's. I figured out the problem. The problem was the ground wire in the engine compartment. When I put the body lift on my truck it broke the ground strap from the body to the drivers side head on the engine. I don't know why it worked for so long after the body lift, maybe the ground strap was resting somewhere that it could still do its job. Anyway, it's fixed now.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode