New engine, 350??? - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
GM Small Trucks & SUV's All discussion of S-Class Trucks and SUV's

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 05-28-2001, 03:34 PM Thread Starter

New engine, 350???

well, after wheeling this memorial weekend, my friends and i had some problems. i was the first one to go, but two others fell right after me. pulling out one guy, i get out of the mud hole and there is oil pouring out of the bottom of my engine, rear main seal went again...then the guy i pulled out, his tranny went (it had 176000 miles on it), then another guy's tranny got filled with water...didn't have a vent tube, but we didn't know that... well, while we were towing these vehicles home, a guy asked if we wanted some engines, all we had to do is pic them up, so we did. the one is a 78 olds 350 out of a cutlass, it has a crane cam and an edlebrock intake, the other is just a BBC 402...
so to get to the point, i think i might put that 350 in my 89, but will i need a olds tranny? also, anyone know anything about this engine???
thanks fellas

Craig

'89 S-10 P/U 4.3L 31" Yoko M/Ts
'99 S-10 2.2L 2WD 5 Speed Stepside Totally Stock [img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/frown.gif[/img]
'88 Kawasaki Mojave (FOR SALE)[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/cool.gif[/img]
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 05-28-2001, 03:53 PM

Re: New engine, 350???

I'm thinbking the Old engine has a different bolt pattern for the trannie but to make shure something you could do is take a piece of card board and make a template of your trannie mounting surface mainly the bolt holes and guide pins then check it with the back of the motor to make shure everything will bolt up
Just a suggestion

Nissan_King_84

1984 Nissan King Cab 4x4
http://www.geocities.com/nowheres/Paul_s_720_Page.html
post #3 of (permalink) Old 05-28-2001, 10:04 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

The bolt patteren should be different if it is an olds, Just helped a buddy do a tranny swap on an 85' cutlass and it was way different. I am sure you can get and adaptor plate though. Adavance Adaptors proably makes one or check a summit catalog out.
Good luck with it

Nick
[email protected]
83' s10 extended cab 4x4 supercharged 2.8l v6
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 05-30-2001, 10:52 AM

Yes oldsmobilt engines and trannys have a differant bolt pattern, But like somebody already said I'm pretty sure http://www.advanceadapters.com make an adapter. You could possibly use the olds tranny, I don't know much about olds trannys, But It's probley a TH350 or 400, In which case you may be able too bolt a 4x4 tailhouseing on too it so you can hook up your t-case.
Hope this helps, Oh and if you havn't you may want too post this on the fullsize board too. Lots of people there who may not look around here that much.(If ever[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/wink.gif[/img])

A Man a Dog and a Pickup it's a wondurful thing(sometimes)[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/wink.gif[/img]
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode