Off Roading Forums banner

S-10 axels

708 views 11 replies 1 participant last post by  **DONOTDELETE** 
G
#1 ·
Hey guys,
This is my first post , so please go easy on me.
The question i have is this. Instead of swapping the front axel to a straight axel; how about just having a stronger axel cut down and the mounts welded to it , so it will work in place of the stock one? I know the other way gives you lots more height , but i kinda like the stock look and handling on my blazer.
Has anyone tried it this way? If so , how did it work?

G
#2 ·
The problem with the front of the S series is not with the solid axle piece itself. It is with the CV joints and control arm setup. The CV joints will wear out quicker than anything...especially if the boot tears or you crank your torsion bars and it angles the joint badly

G
#3 ·
Unless its a Racing suspension, IFS sucks! You could, in theory design a long-travel IFS for a 4WD S10, but you'd need to be a professional fabricator and have lots of $$$ and time. It could be done, though. Maybe use a D60 for the r&p, Porsche 930 CV joints, uni-balls to replace the ball-joints, tubular control arms, REAL wheel bearings, and of course remote-reservior shocks. Maybe 11-12" of travel would be nice. It may resemble an S10 when you're done! LOL!
A.S.

1989 GMC S-15 4x4 4.3L/700R-4, 3.08s, 31" Sport Kings For Sale
1985 S-10 4x4 Soon to have 3504BM/TH350/D44/14FF, 35" Boggers

G
#4 ·
Hey guys thanks for the input. I knew that the cv joints are pretty weak but I saw some of the baja trucks runnins some bootless cv axels and was unsure if they were avalible as an after market part, or if they were custom made. Also the reason i was thinking about trying to run a dana, is that I busted the gears out of the rear of my blazer . I only run 31x10.5 swampers cause i drive her everyday. I really don't need much more wheel travel. Some cut out wheel flairs should take care of what little rubbing i have. I just plan on swapping out the 305 for a 350 and am not sure the little chevy 10 bolt axels will take the abuse. Besides cv axels are easier and cheepeer to replace than axle gears. I hate to loose the street ride I have now. Does the solid front axel switch change the way your truck handels very much?

G
#5 ·
The SFA won't be as smooth as IFS, unless you've cranked up your torsion bars. Then its smoother... But its much more capable off road. Handling may not be as good. But that all depends on if you run a sway bar too.

The 8.5 10 bolt would probably take up to 36s or so...but be cautious... If you have a heavy foot maybe not even that big..

85 S10 Blazer 3" body 2" tbar lift. 31x10.50s on 15x8 rims
http://www.geocities.com/marktrot/or.html

#7 ·
355, nice post!

You're right about IFS sucking in certain conditions other than a racing / pre-running setup (which is what I like to do anyway)!

It is completely possible to get a stronger axle built to spec on the front end of your truck. The problem is that this would be a cu$tom job and they take some time and money! If you could find a company that would be willing to make a "kit" to replace the front axles the cost would go down a whole bunch. But try and get a company to provide something for an S-10 other than those cool tail lights...

If you have the cash and the will power it is completely possible!

J.R. /wwwthreads_images/icons/cool.gif

http://members.nbci.com/desertride/index.htm

G
#8 ·
Thanks, J.R. All the SFA S10s that Ive driven(2) have ridden MUCH better over my stock 89 GMC 4x4(even with new shocks!). As long as you get the right spring rate and arch, it should be a nice ride! Also, D42psychoman, the stock S10 IFS has a ring& pinion just like an SFA, but much smaller, like 7" and thus MUCH weaker! A 350 and a heavy right foot= RAW IFS Carnage! Especially with 31's!
Good Luck!
A.S.

G
#10 ·
You can upgrade to the 4.3 powered 88up S10 rear axles. 7.625" ring gear and 28 spline versus 26 spline axles. A worthwhile upgrage in my book.
A.Smith

G
#11 ·
I have run a 283 in front of my stock drivetrain for the past 5+ years and I have not had a single problem with the rearend yet. I also run 31's and when I first did the swap I beat it pretty hard, dented the gas tank and possibly bent the driveshaft. I also pulled out a full size chevy fom the mud, still with no problems. Then again if you toasted the R&P with the stock engine you may have some other issues./wwwthreads_images/icons/crazy.gif

Good luck

He who toots his own horn is talking out of his A$$.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.