s10 torsion bars - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
GM Small Trucks & SUV's All discussion of S-Class Trucks and SUV's

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 05-25-2001, 09:56 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

s10 torsion bars

i put 235/75 15's on my 97 extended cab 4x4 s10. Now when i hit a bump it bottoms out and i hit my tires against the fender wells. It is tearing up my new tires. I looked underneath the truck to crank the torsion bars up to lift the front of the truck. But upon inspection I noticed that the torsion bar bolts are way off in the amount of threads showing on the bolts. The bolt on the driver side is all the way turned in. And the bolt on the passenger side is all the way turned out. The question is should the bolts be close to each other as far as thread showing. And how do I go about correcting the problem. The front suspinsion is real soft right now so i thaught this would fix that problem too.

Thank you

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 05-25-2001, 01:30 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Re: s10 torsion bars

well on my 85 my drivers side bolt is in a lot more than my passenger side is. dues to age and miles. but on a 97 shouln't be that worn out yet I would think.I would measure from the top of you tire to the fender on both side and see if they are off. And as far as your fenders hitting your tires you can either get stiffer shocks or stiffen up your frontend by doing a Torsion bar tweak
hope this helps
Puddleskipper

85 chevy s10 4x4 2.8l v6 4bl
538,862 miles and counting
http://www.geocities.com/greer5199/puddleskipper.html
post #3 of (permalink) Old 05-27-2001, 11:37 AM

Re: s10 torsion bars

Depending on the age of the truck and how it gets used, torsion bars will lose their spring after a time.

With your '97, unless you've been jumping it every day before work, they shouldn't be so worn out!

The bars are always not going to match with the threads. They are two completely separate entities. Usually, either by stock or through dealer mechanics, they will crank the drivers side a little more to let the driver's weight compensate.

You have a few options:

Body lift - Another 1" will probably fix this.
Crank up torsion bars. Not too much! It will give you a stiffer ride and more bounce.
New torsion bars! If you have that soft ride crap like I have, then you might want to look into getting new, heavier-duty torsion bars. The dealers provide all different brands, based on weights, and Sway-A-Way is supposed to be getting theirs back for sale six months ago or longer [img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/mad.gif[/img]. Check with them to see when they plan on rolling them out!

J.R. [img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/cool.gif[/img]

http://members.nbci.com/desertride/index.htm
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode