Torsion Bar Mounts - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
GM Small Trucks & SUV's All discussion of S-Class Trucks and SUV's

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 05-21-2001, 03:53 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Torsion Bar Mounts

I have a 1997 Jimmy and I think that one of my torsion bar crossmember mounts is about shot, judging by the clunks that I am hearing. Is there any difference in the mounts of the new bodystyle against those of the old bodystyle? I think there is, and am just wondering what needs to be replaced on the new bodystyle's mounts. I am an amateur mechanic and want to do this replacement myself, so anyone who has replaced the mounts on a new bodystyle, let me know what needs to be done. Thanks for the help.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 05-21-2001, 07:22 PM

Re: Torsion Bar Mounts

Haven't done the work but here's some things I learned through reading and this BBS:

The torsion bars are under a very nasty preload. If you just try to unscrew them chances are you will lose a hand. You need a special tool (or backyard mechanic equivalent) to release the load on the bars safely.

The end (towards the back) of the torsion bar mounts look like they have some kind of end link to let them flex a little and stay mounted. These are what break most of the time, along with the socket. Chances are, after you pull them off and really check them, this is what you will find!

I sort of wish I could do these torsions like I had my old Toyota. On my toy I could just unscrew them and pull them out, no risk of serious injury. The back mount was set securly in place with a good socket that was integrated into the crossmember; not merely riding along with it.

At any rate, if you don't have one I highly suggest you get some shop manuals to give you more information!

J.R. [img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/cool.gif[/img]

http://members.nbci.com/desertride/index.htm
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode