help me decide what to buy! - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
GM Small Trucks & SUV's All discussion of S-Class Trucks and SUV's

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 05-19-2001, 09:57 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

help me decide what to buy!

im look at getting a blazer/jimmy with a 4.3 and am just wondering what i should be looking for, i will be towing a trailer with it (race car in summer sleds in winter) my main objective is mpg so what should i be looking for?

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 05-20-2001, 12:39 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

Re: help me decide what to buy!

As far as options offered by the manufacter, I would go with a manual tranny and a towing package if I could get it.

post #3 of (permalink) Old 05-20-2001, 08:58 AM

<font face="Comic Sans MS">If you want something for towing, I'd recommend you get something with a diesel engine, particularly since you also mentioned wanting a lot of MPG... [img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/crazy.gif[/img] What's the total weight of trailer and race car? For one of these trucks total trailer weight shouldn't exceed 4000-5500 lbs (somewhere in that range I'd estimate) or else the trailer will be in control instead of the tow vehicle... [img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/frown.gif[/img]</font>

Tim "Sandman"

ORC Land Use columnist:
My May Column
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 05-20-2001, 10:11 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

s10's are definatly not desinged to tow. They are too small. If you want to tow, might as well go for a tahoe or better yet a pickup. Something with a v8 atleast. You might be able to pull the sleds with an s10 but definatly not a race car.

post #5 of (permalink) Old 05-20-2001, 10:58 AM

Everyone here has the right idea so far about what to get.

S-10's were not designed for towing anything other than small trailers (in fact they don't even recommend that). Towing another vehicle (<font color=red>THE EXCEPTION:</font color=red> short-distance towing to get your friend's F*rd to the shop! [img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/laugh.gif[/img]) with an S-series is going to put too much undue strain on the tranny and cause potential handling problems.

The best bet is, as mentioned, a full size. Get something with a good GVWR that matches the weight of the trailer and the load it will carry. A good towing package is good. They'll contain better shocks and springs (mostly), a good heavy-duty tranny cooler and a good pre-mounted hitch with wiring all set up for you.

Diesel is a good choice if you want better gas mileage over a long haul. The only thing you'll miss is the "seat of your pants" power that comes from gas. The added torque from diesel at low RPM's sure is nice though!

Someone mentioned getting a manual vs. an automatic tranny. This is a good idea if you are an experienced tower, however having an auto tranny on the hills and in the curves might make it better for your sanity! Seeing as how you're not supposed to go over 55 anyway with a trailer (ahem) fourth or fifth gear is not really a God-send! [img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/smile.gif[/img]

J.R. [img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/cool.gif[/img]

http://members.nbci.com/desertride/index.htm
post #6 of (permalink) Old 05-22-2001, 06:58 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

the total weight of car (with spares) and trailer is about 3500lbs, as far as diesel goes i have a 6.2 but the mpg just isnt there when not towing (18mpg) and the cost of maintainence on this thing has far outweighed any saving i might have seen from the extra mpg when towing (if any).
what im looking for is something to get 19-22mpg empty and a good 18 pulling a small trailer (say 800lbs with load)
right now i tow my sleds around with a subaru 2.2l (its even an auto) doesnt do too bad till about 9,000ft then she gets pretty doggy! so i cnat imagine why a 4.3 wouldnt do it? for teh most part i would be towing the sleds around with it the two place is about 2,000 lbs how will it tow that and what kind of mpg would it get?

post #7 of (permalink) Old 05-26-2001, 12:00 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

Hey I love my little 85 s-10 blazer 4x4, but it sucks when towing. I tried to tow my little dodge daytona on a two dolly with it and the dang thing pushed my blazer all over the place.Only thing that saved me was the 305 v-8 in my blazer. I could out run the daytona when it got too pussy.

post #8 of (permalink) Old 05-26-2001, 10:29 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Hey trailman, Ill trade you that 6.2 powered truck for a 4x4 S10! I get anywhere from 17-22 MPG with it. It has 3.08 gears. 18MPG when towing with a 6.2 is wonderful! Its on the classifieds here, check it out!
OH, BTW a 6.5L TD powered fullsize sounds like what you need.
A.S.

1989 GMC S-15 4x4 4.3L/700R-4, 3.08s, 31" Sport Kings For Sale
1985 S-10 4x4 Soon to have 3504BM/TH350/D44/14FF, 35" Boggers
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode