Header Installation - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
GM Small Trucks & SUV's All discussion of S-Class Trucks and SUV's

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 05-15-2001, 02:17 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Header Installation

I just bought a set of Edelbrock headers. Has anyone out there done their own installation? I'm heard that snapping off studs is one big complication. Any suggestion for the process? Also Edelbrock recommends high temp. spark plug wires. Does any one have a brand they like? Would the heat sleeves by MSD be good enough? If I were to hire someone to do the installation what would be a fair price range?
'95 Jimmy, 2 door S15, 4.3L CPI, W, 4WD, Auto, A.C.

Slab
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 05-15-2001, 06:03 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Re: Header Installation

I have those same damn rust pipes.. (Sould have got the JBA's)[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/shocked.gif[/img][img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/wink.gif[/img] GET THEM COATED!! Like Jetcoat or one of the others.. Don't do the wraps.. Other than that for a shop to do it your talking about 4 hrs @ what is it $50 hr.. OUCH.. To do it yourself i strongly recomend getting a 2" bodylift first.. Trust me.. Then you can do everything from under the truck.. Otherwise you gotta pull the PS pump and the alternator i think and pull the tubes from under the hood.. My brain is rusty, and it was about 4 years ago I installed them.. Breaking the bolts is a concern with an aged motor so start drowning them in liquid wrench.. Carefull it is flamable.. I use Jacobs wires and love them.. Did burn one but it was my routing fault.. Any good 8mm wire will work as long as its copper core..

-Troy '<font color=red>WeaZle</font color=red>' McCarty

post #3 of (permalink) Old 05-16-2001, 10:17 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

Slab,
good luck and remember, anything can be done with the right tool. You also might want to consider going to Sears and getting a knuckle (not sure of the exact name for it but it looks like a u joint) for your socket, if you don't already have one, to fit into those tight areas. When I converted my ' 83 to a V-8 I took the whole front clip off so I had it easy.

Hey WeaZle, I thought that WD-40 was flamable and Liquid Wrench was NOT? That's why I bought the darn stuff!

He who toots his own horn is talking out of his A$$.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 05-17-2001, 10:09 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

Thanks for the tips on the headers. I've got a couple of follow up ques. for you. 1) Is Jetcoat something Edelbrock does or can I send/go someplace else? 2) Are the 2'' lifts (those hockey puck shape things underneath) for the body: ? I don't want to make the body any more tippy, so I'd be tempted to just temporarily stick some lumber under there to give me some clearance. Does that sound safe? 3) Who sells JBA's? Why are they better? I'm tempted to return the Edelbrock rust pipes. Thanks for the help.

Slab
post #5 of (permalink) Old 05-17-2001, 11:20 AM

The only thing I can help you with is 2, I whould not use the lumber seems too me that the body could slide off that very easily. The body lift whould be ok tha whould give you more clearance for some bigger tires anyway and body lifts are farily cheep too. I whould also think if it wasen't too hard, Takeing the front clip off(hood,fenders etc,etc.)Whould be the way too go.

A Man a Dog and a Pickup it's a wondurful thing(sometimes)[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/wink.gif[/img]
post #6 of (permalink) Old 05-17-2001, 11:21 AM

the cheap place to buy jba is at http://www.racenet.net...

Craig

'89 S-10 P/U 4.3L 31" Yoko M/Ts (For Sale!)[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/shocked.gif[/img]
'99 S-10 2.2L 2WD 5 Speed Stepside Totally Stock [img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/frown.gif[/img]

'88 Kawasaki Mojave (FOR SALE)[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/cool.gif[/img]
post #7 of (permalink) Old 05-26-2001, 12:22 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

Go with the body lift. You will be glad you did. I went with a 3" lift on my little blazer, and i could hardlly tell the diffrence in it being top heavy. They are not hard to do. They take like an hour and a half to do( with air tools). Plus they just make your truck look so dang good.

post #8 of (permalink) Old 05-26-2001, 10:35 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Go for some type of a body lift, and thank us later. MUCH easier to get to EVERYTHING! Send back the Edeljunks and buy some JBAs, much better, last longer than the truck will! Good Luck.
A.S.

1989 GMC S-15 4x4 4.3L/700R-4, 3.08s, 31" Sport Kings For Sale
1985 S-10 4x4 Soon to have 3504BM/TH350/D44/14FF, 35" Boggers
post #9 of (permalink) Old 06-01-2001, 08:14 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

I'm surprised to hear you say it only takes about 90min to install the lift kit. I do have air tools, but the Performance Parts kit which sells for around $100 looks like it has about 20 parts and says it takes 2 people and a half DAY. Did you really mean to say one & half hours? Also, I've noticed spacers are available to plug up the holes created by the lift kit. Do you think they are a good idea? Or do they trap more than protect? Thanks for your encouragement. Regardless of install. time I think I'm going to do the lift. They do look cool.

Slab
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode