squeeky brakes and poor handling - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
GM Small Trucks & SUV's All discussion of S-Class Trucks and SUV's

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 05-10-2001, 06:13 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

squeeky brakes and poor handling

1st off i think all my sqeeks are from my front left wheel. IT squeeks when i brake and even when im just coasting. Any ideas? Plus, i pull right when i brake. As for handling, its sloppy and loose. Would a steering stabilizer fix this? or is it more advanced?

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 05-10-2001, 10:20 PM

Re: squeeky brakes and poor handling

Would a steering stablizer fix this? No. Help? Yes! It will only lessen the amount of bump steer you get while driving.

One thing I noticed when I bought my S-10 is that tire pressure is everything. Make sure that your tires are evenly filled and in good shape.

Then an alignment and tire rotation are in order.

The squeak is most likely your wheel bearings going to hell. On any other, "normal" truck you could just repack the bearings after inspection, but I'm not so sure about this on our trucks. I think it has mostly to do with the type of hub assembly. Somebody please correct me / confirm for me about this!

Another thing to check are the balljoints. If your joints are out of whack they will cause havoc with your handling. Anyone notice that the right side goes out awfully quick?

J.R. [img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/cool.gif[/img]

http://members.nbci.com/desertride/index.htm
post #3 of (permalink) Old 05-11-2001, 12:19 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

If it squeeks while coasting, its probelly time to do your brakes!!!! Your truck has how many miles on it?? 100k + Try this, jack up the front (blocking it up properlelly) and lay on your back and see how much you can toe in/out our tires at the same time!! (try to pull the leading edge in on both tires at the same time) and see what you get, If you can see your stearing bar flex or all your joints sloopy, then your truck is like mine and needs about $500 of moog parts (2 upper 2lower 2 inner 2 outter)!!

Tim

88 blazer
Like A Rock
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 05-11-2001, 05:12 PM

<font face="Comic Sans MS">These trucks have sealed bearings. Last I checked they're about $90 ea... Fortunately they last a long while though... You can't grease them and can't rebuild them (to my knowledge they can't be rebuilt, or there are no rebuild kits available). When you unhook the giant (36MM on most models) nut on the CV shaft, keep in mind that when you retorque it, you need in the 150-180lb ft range on that nut. Don't leave any parts out either, because that could be a safety issue. [img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/crazy.gif[/img] The torque you put on the CV shaft helps hold that wheel bearing/hub assembly together. [img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/crazy.gif[/img]</font>

Tim "Sandman"

ORC Land Use columnist:
My February article on ORC
(I'm finally back)
post #5 of (permalink) Old 05-11-2001, 10:45 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Yes, as Sandman(Tim) said, the wheel bearings are sealed non-rebuildable FWD car type. But, this means that parts like rotors are cheaper than 2WDs. Brake parts are fairly reasonable for them as long as everything doesn't go at once!
The brake boosters are high(around $350 for mine), but master cylinders, wheel cyls, calipers, drums, etc. are reasonable. Try checking your tire pressures, then get under and do a front-end check, and check for excessive looseness. Ball-joints are around $47 each for MOOG(The only ones I'd buy!) but if all 4 are bad $$! Also get an alignment to save whats left of your tires!
My front-end has 174,000 miles and counting with 90% of the factory parts!
A.Smith

1989 GMC S-15 4x4 4.3L/700R-4, 3.08s, 31" Sport Kings For Sale
1985 S-10 4x4 Soon to have 3504BM/TH350/D44/14FF, 35" Boggers
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode