Auto to Manual - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
GM Small Trucks & SUV's All discussion of S-Class Trucks and SUV's

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 05-10-2001, 07:38 AM Thread Starter

Auto to Manual

my friend has a SM465 and a 205 in his garage that he said i could pretty much have... I'm thinking this could be pretty cool. My 700R4 runs good, so i could sell that for a good price, and my 231. then i could sell my tires, still newish and get some used 33s... if i were to do this, i would need a longer rear drive shaft, and a shorter front drive shaft right? also need the clutch pedal and other related parts... anyone ever do something like this?
probably just a dream like all my other ideas....

Craig

'89 S-10 P/U 4.3L 31" Yoko M/Ts (For Sale!)[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/shocked.gif[/img]
'99 S-10 2.2L 2WD 5 Speed Stepside Totally Stock [img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/frown.gif[/img]

'88 Kawasaki Mojave (FOR SALE)[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/cool.gif[/img]
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 05-10-2001, 08:18 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

Re: Auto to Manual

Yeah I did that conversion from auto to manual. I used the original 231 and over time was able to collect everything I needed for the conversion. It works great now and there were no major problems in the installation.
-Pat

'89 S10 Blazer 4x4 4.3 5spd
post #3 of (permalink) Old 05-11-2001, 12:30 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

i was looking at doing the same thing, Chevy was pretty good at putting clutch mounts and covers fo the slaves in all the vehicles that could come in them... it shouldn't be too hard...

Tim

88 blazer
Like A Rock
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 05-11-2001, 10:26 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

You do realize that the NP205's front yoke is on the wrong side for an S10s IFS?Therefore you'd need to do an SFA conversion on it. Also the SM465 used a mechanical clutch linkage, but you could likely adapt a newer hydraulic setup.
Do you also realize how much this combo weighs? Big ASS Cast-Iron Trans and BIG ASS Cast-Iron transfer case Vs. your aluminum 700R-4 and Aluminum NP231, BIG weight difference! Also the 205 uses Big U-joints and driveshafts. Another problem is the clutch size. Assuming the 465 comes with a bellhousing, it uses a
larger clutch/pp combo than the Light-Duty S10. Plus I doubt that bellhousing would fit in the stock S10s already too-small trans. hump.
IMHO, unless you plan on a H.D. SFA conversion with lots of custom fab. work, don't go for it(At least not in an S10!)
Definetly take them if they're free, though! Never know when a free 1/2 ton might come your way! LOL! 205's are getting harder to find!
A.Smith

1989 GMC S-15 4x4 4.3L/700R-4, 3.08s, 31" Sport Kings For Sale
1985 S-10 4x4 Soon to have 3504BM/TH350/D44/14FF, 35" Boggers
post #5 of (permalink) Old 05-12-2001, 08:04 PM Thread Starter

Thanks for setting me straight on that...didn't realize how different it was... i do plan on a SFA in the future, front end is about to go out on me...

Craig

'89 S-10 P/U 4.3L 31" Yoko M/Ts (For Sale!)[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/shocked.gif[/img]
'99 S-10 2.2L 2WD 5 Speed Stepside Totally Stock [img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/frown.gif[/img]

'88 Kawasaki Mojave (FOR SALE)[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/cool.gif[/img]
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode