Off Roading Forums banner

Distubuter fits!!!!!

1K views 11 replies 3 participants last post by  Fishyoo7 
#1 ·
I'm putting a 4.3 V-6 in my truck and need a Distributer for it A freind of mine told me an HEI distributor out of a 229 V-6 in a 80 camero would fit the bill
My q is is he right? if not what could i cross reference a hei distributer out of to work on the 4.3?
Heellllpppppp!!!!!!!!

Nissan_King_84

1984 Nissan King Cab 4x4
http://www.geocities.com/nowheres/Paul_s_720_Page.html

G
#2 ·
I don't know why it wouldn't. I put an HEI on my '63 283. If it can work on one that old I can't see you having a problem. Does your friend have one that you could use. If not you might want to e-mail the tech guys at Advanced Adapters.

Good Luck

#3 ·
I know most of the Chevy V-8's are interchangeable but not shure bout the v-6's
I guess at this point I may have to get out a measureing tape and Measure the shaft lenth and dia where it goes into the intake to find out for shure so far everyone i talked to isn't shure that's why i figured I would post it here see if any of the Masterminds here would know

Nissan_King_84

1984 Nissan King Cab 4x4

#6 ·
/wwwthreads_images/icons/crazy.gif I'm wondering why not? /wwwthreads_images/icons/crazy.gif

If all else fails, you might try calling a local parts yard and ask them to look in their interchange manual, or even the local parts house could look up a 4.3L distributor and one from the 229 and check to see if the part #'s are the same... /wwwthreads_images/icons/crazy.gif

Tim "Sandman"

ORC Land Use columnist:
My February article on ORC
(I'm finally back)

G
#7 ·
This might sound stupid, but how are you goig to use a disturbitor from a V8 on a V6, it will probibly fit but what will you do with the other 2 hoopities that the plug wires go on?????

just wonderin
Tim

88 blazer
Like A Rock

#8 ·
I thought of the Checking with the part's store thing and They get 2 different part numbers cause all the 4.3 Distributers are useally electronic where the 229 isn't AKA the 229 has a vacume advance and the 4.3 has an electronic andance on the distributor so I'm haveing a hard time Finding out that way I was hopeing I could find someone that did a non electronic 4.3 swap Like I'm currently in the process of doing

Nissan_King_84

1984 Nissan King Cab 4x4

G
#9 ·
The 262 [4.3] is a even fire engine 120 degree sequence
The 229 [3.8] is a odd fire engine 108/132 degree sequence
if you fit the even fire pickup out of buick into the 229
HEI distributor it will work that is how I solved my problem
here in Australia
Are you using a carby or injected engine
and you will need to upgrade the ignition wire to feed the HEI the require 14v 10amps to operate properly

avagooday
adrian@chevtorque.com.au

Adrian /wwwthreads_images/icons/laugh.gif

#10 ·
I think you are confuseing yourself Chevtourqe the 229 is an evenfire v-6 made by chevy and so is the 4.3
the odd fire engine you mention is the 3.8 liter 231 CID BUICK v-6 the 231 came with the even and also the odd fire you mentioned but even though they fire different buick used the same distributer they just wired the spark plugs different on the 2 engines
but anyhow But you have put a 229 distributer in a 4.3? if so you may have answered my question but not shure Please let me know
by the way I'm putting A 500cfm Carter 4BBL carb on the engine as well

Nissan_King_84

1984 Nissan King Cab 4x4

G
#11 ·
Hi
Trust my the 229 is a odd fire engine or better knowen as a semi oddfire engine 108 degree 132 degree sequence
4.3 Chev and 231 Buick evenfire are both 120 degree sequance
And you are right with the buick oddfire exept the buick is 90 degree 150 degree sequance on the oddfire engine
the firing order on both Chevs and the 231 Buick is 1,6,5,4,3,2
I have my own busness in Perth West Australia ,importing and fitting the V6 engines into Toyota Hilux ,Nissan 720 ,Navara ,etc
Check my home page for some of the things we do

www.chevtorque.com.au

http://home.access1.com.au/~ozrunner/chevtorque.html

My own Hilux 4.3 litre chev, Holley street dominator manifold,465 cfm holley , 225 hp marine cam , HEI dissy with Accel supper coil ,extractors and 2.5" exhaust with turbo muffler through a HD 5 spd manual with 28% overdrive
We even had to cast our own flywheels using sg [nodular] iron
avagooday

Adrian /wwwthreads_images/icons/laugh.gif

#12 ·
side note, msd makes a new distributor for the 4.3L, part number is 8597, but you need to use a msd ignition... the distributor costs 270 out of summit...

Craig

'89 S-10 P/U 4.3L 31" Yoko M/Ts (For Sale!)/wwwthreads_images/icons/shocked.gif
'99 S-10 2.2L 2WD 5 Speed Stepside Totally Stock /wwwthreads_images/icons/frown.gif

'88 Kawasaki Mojave (FOR SALE)/wwwthreads_images/icons/cool.gif

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.