Wheel Spacers - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
GM Small Trucks & SUV's All discussion of S-Class Trucks and SUV's

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 05-09-2001, 04:34 PM Thread Starter

Wheel Spacers

Are there alot of problems with wheel spacers? I heard that they break/fall off. I was thinking about adding them to my rear tires and possibly the front, but mainly to correct the difference. Does www.performancewheel.com make quality products or is there a better brand out there?

If it has wheels or a skirt,
You can't afford it!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 05-09-2001, 04:49 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Re: Wheel Spacers

wheelspacers are bad news, especially for an off road vehicle, they are weak, and subsequently had a tendency top break under stress, in addition, the put more stress on your cv joints in the front. You dont need to correct the difference between the front and the rear, its designed that way for a reason, if ya wanna go wider, just get wider offset wheels, you can get chrome mods for 30-40 a peice and they are a lot safer and stronger then wheel spacer could ever be.

86 s-10 4x4pu 3in body lift, 32x12.5 wild country txr's

post #3 of (permalink) Old 05-10-2001, 12:41 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

Those spacers aren't like the old time ones. They will give you no more problems than the diffrent offset rims will. I saw if you realy like your factory rims use them, if not get some rims you like.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 05-10-2001, 11:25 AM Thread Starter

Ok the spacers cost 80 and a nice set of rims in the 180 range, plus then i have to buy all four instead of 2 for the rear. I'd rather go for the wheel spacers than new rims. Another thing i'd have to buy different backspacing for the front and rear rims. What are chrome Mods?
Hey sharpy what kind of fender flares are those zenon?

You can't afford it!
post #5 of (permalink) Old 05-11-2001, 01:10 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

Flares are Bushwacker and were 220 from www.jcwhitley.com, Everywhere else they seem to be about 280. They were easy to install and had self tapping screws. Believe on the Crome mods they are rims probably similar to the ones I have on mine. 35 a piece, cheap but are pretty good for now.

post #6 of (permalink) Old 05-11-2001, 11:16 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

CNOTE, I hate to tell you, but I know several people who run Performance's wheel spacers off-road with no problems! They are the best ones I've seen. And as for them putting more stress on things, they do not! They just move the stress. A bigger tire/wheel puts more stress on the wheel bearings and ball-joints, not the CVs!
As for the track-width, GM designed them that way for a reason. So that your rear wheels don't ride in the fronts ruts. Modular wheels are nice and cheap, but beware of really cheap ones.
IMHO M/T Challengers are the best Alloys(Hot Forged Aluminum)
with Eagles coming in 2nd.
Good Luck.
A.Smith

1989 GMC S-15 4x4 4.3L/700R-4, 3.08s, 31" Sport Kings For Sale
1985 S-10 4x4 Soon to have 3504BM/TH350/D44/14FF, 35" Boggers
post #7 of (permalink) Old 05-14-2001, 11:20 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

so are you saying that it is ok to get negative offset wheels? I would like my wheels to stick out a little and am getting ready to get new wheels - but everyone i heard has said i need to get positively offset wheels. Whats the deal?

post #8 of (permalink) Old 05-15-2001, 02:34 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

Does add a little more stress but not enough to evem notice. I say go for it. Also if you are bringing them out you will have clearence issues.

post #9 of (permalink) Old 05-15-2001, 10:02 PM Thread Starter

I'm only going to put spacers on the rear. Not only should you check for clearance for the stearing but also for articulation. Your tire could raise up on bumps and destroy your fender.

You can't afford it!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode