how many steering stabilizers for 44's w/pic - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
GM Small Trucks & SUV's All discussion of S-Class Trucks and SUV's

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 05-09-2001, 10:03 AM
sheesley

how many steering stabilizers for 44\'s w/pic

I just finished building my hummer kit truck on a 1/2 ton suburban frame with a 350 and sm465 tranny and np208 t case.

I just got a great deal on a new set of 44's.......and I am still getting a front end shake at about 35-40 and lessens as I go faster, but is still there. The tires are groundhawgs and are alanced with equal tire powder (8 oz each) as recommeneded. I think the problem is the same as when I had the stock steering stabilizer on the front. I have since replaced it with a procmp dual kit, but was wondering if I need 4 stabilizers in the fron....I measured and I can fit another kit. The shaking is tolerable, but I would like it to be better...thanks
~~TIM~~

--->"Some people go through life thinking they hit a triple: But they were actually born on third base."

Attached Images
File Type: jpg 17-421480-11111111111111111111hummmmmm.jpg (42.2 KB, 11 views)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 05-09-2001, 10:29 AM

Re: how many steering stabilizers for 44\'s w/pic

You should not have too use four stabilizers at all! Two seems too be plenty for most people, I do not run a stabilizer on my truck at all, But it is stock and a 2WD too boot. I have too say there could be something wrong in your axle, Or maybe your driveshaft is out of balence. Or your tires could be too, I don't know, But you should not have too use all those stabilizers!
Hope this helps see ya.
P.S. The truck looks good![img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/cool.gif[/img]

A Man a Dog and a Pickup it's a wondurful thing(sometimes)[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/wink.gif[/img]
post #3 of (permalink) Old 05-09-2001, 01:28 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

can i get some info on whwew i can get a kit like that?? I am going to go get a older sububran and the body's shot... i read about the "Bummer"kits, is that the same thing??

Tim

88 blazer
Like A Rock
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 05-09-2001, 01:34 PM
sheesley

I need some input from people who actually run 44's...I appretiate the input, but I know of alot of trucks that do have to run 3-5 stabalizers to get rid of the shake side to side. The tires are balanced!!! And 1 stabalizer was good for the 39's, but there is just way too much weight away from the rim and the sidewall deflection causes latereral vibrations...anyone who has run 44's has experienced this at sometime I am sure. I am just debating to add 3 or 4

--->"Some people go through life thinking they hit a triple: But they were actually born on third base."

post #5 of (permalink) Old 05-09-2001, 02:15 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Try a motorhome stabilizer with a coil on it.. Use one and mabe two regular stabilizers for dampening.. Here is a pic of what I mean:

-Troy '<font color=red>WeaZle</font color=red>' McCarty

post #6 of (permalink) Old 05-10-2001, 10:49 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

You'll get better help on the GM Standard page. More people with larger tires.

Nich Kenny
'89 K1500 350/700r4
post #7 of (permalink) Old 05-11-2001, 10:31 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Nice Truck, too bad its only a 1/2 ton! 44's and 10 bolts don't mix well!
Do you have crossover steering? Nothing like a Hummer body to make 44's look small! LOL!
A.Smith

1989 GMC S-15 4x4 4.3L/700R-4, 3.08s, 31" Sport Kings For Sale
1985 S-10 4x4 Soon to have 3504BM/TH350/D44/14FF, 35" Boggers
post #8 of (permalink) Old 05-18-2001, 07:42 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

i've driven on 44's for many years and wheel with many friends running 44's. The ground Hawgs have always been the worst for vibration and not as good offroad due to the directional tread pattern. They do wear longer than most though, so they'll be arund a long time. Stabilizer are more for controlling bump steer than vibrations anyway so it won't matter how many yo put on. Also 8oz. of ballancing compound doesn't seem like nearly enough,its usually the (out of round) problem that causes 44's to ride like [censored], a dana 60 front axle is also beter at handling big tires than a 1/2 ton axle.my 2.5 cents

Ayeeeaa!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode