Air conditioner probs - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
GM Small Trucks & SUV's All discussion of S-Class Trucks and SUV's

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 05-08-2001, 01:21 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Air conditioner probs

my a/c blows warm air at low idle speeds intermittently. Anyone have any ideas. The compressor was just replaced (with a rebuilt one) about a year ago? Could it be the clutch? and if so can you replace that without replacing the entire compressor?

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 05-08-2001, 03:44 PM

Re: Air conditioner probs

<font face="Comic Sans MS">Low idle speeds perhaps like being stopped? Does that ever happen when driving? Is it hot out where you are? Do you notice engine temperature going up at the same time you lose your a/c? If so, then it's likely because your fan isn't able to pull enough air through to cool the a/c radiator thing (I knew the name for that 5 minutes ago but now drawing a blank, oh well) and your engine radiator... Do you have a fan shroud? What happens when you rev the engine up? Does the cold air start flowing again? </font>

Tim "Sandman"

ORC Land Use columnist:
My February article on ORC
(I'm finally back)
post #3 of (permalink) Old 05-08-2001, 04:32 PM

It sounds like your out of freon or argon. Something like that. So you have air in your lines where there is supposed to be the chemical. I'm almost sure because that happened to one of the trucks cooler unit where I used to work. Should be the same thing. Just filler up.

If it has wheels or a skirt,
You can't afford it!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 05-08-2001, 07:56 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

it happens at low engine rpm's (usually less than 1500) and then it blows hot air. Definately a noticeable change. When I rev the engine back up - it's blowing cold again. I do live where it is warm all the time - hawaii. BUT - doesn't happen 100% of the time. Only about 60% of the time. Enough to make stop and go traffic a real pain! and yes i have a shroud, it's the factory fan, and no i don't see a change in engine temp, but it never changes - always rock steady at about 190 degrees.

post #5 of (permalink) Old 05-08-2001, 11:47 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Well if your compressor was just changed, chanches are your clutch was changed, so that wouldn't be the prob, also your R-12? or 134A was refilled also, so thats not the prob, check your fan clutch. I bet you a nickle that your clutch on your cooling fan, is toast, try to move it while the engine is cold(off of course) and then check it hot, it should be a lot harder to move when hot, or if it has front to back play thats not your waterpump, replace your fan clutch.

Tim

88 blazer
Like A Rock
post #6 of (permalink) Old 05-09-2001, 02:32 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

if the fan clutch was the problem, wouldn't the fan not turn? Maybe I have a misconception as to what the fan clutch actually does. Can you clue me in?

post #7 of (permalink) Old 05-10-2001, 01:05 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

i checked my fan after the engine was hot and it was no more harder to move than when it was cold. Is this a definate sign of clutch failure? Are there any other methods of determining if the clutch is bad?

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode