GAS PRICES - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
GM Small Trucks & SUV's All discussion of S-Class Trucks and SUV's

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 05-05-2001, 12:33 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

GAS PRICES

The following was sent by an Economist within the Fuel Industry and another Economics professor at CAL Reiterated the same last week. I think its worth trying.

We heard today from a reliable source who is very savvy about the economy namely, Clark Howard, and he says that the gas prices are going to start going up again and will be high this summer - $2.00 and up. We need to do whatever we can and do it NOW!!! This makes more sense than the "don't by gas on a certain day" routine, that was going around last year. (Gasoline Prices)
Whoever started this has a good point. By now, you're probably thinking gasoline priced at about $1.58 is cheap, me too, as it is now $1.68 and up for regular unleaded. Now that the oil companies and the OPEC nations have conditioned us to think that the cost of a gallon of gas is cheap at less than $1.50, we need to try an aggressive response. With the price of gasoline going up more each day we consumers need to take ACTION! The only way we are going to see the price of gas come down is if we don't buy it. But, as the gas companies know full well we are counting on, thats not really practical, option, since we all have come to rely on our cars. But we CAN have an impact on gas prices if we all act together. Here's an idea: For the rest of this year, don't purchase gasoline from the biggest companies (which now are one), namely EXXON, MOBIL, AMOCO, etc...(the ones with the highest prices) You see, if they are not selling, they should be incline to reduce thier prices. And, because of thier size, and hence market share, if they reduce thier prices the other companies will too. (They would HAVE no choice!) Isn't that a "juicy" prospect? But to have an impact we need to reach literally millions of users, but it's do-able! I am sending this note to 42 people. If each of you send it to at least 10 more ...and those 10 send it to at least 10 more and so on, by the time the message reaches the sixth iteration, we will have reached over one million consumers. Acting together we can make a difference. If this makes sense to you, please pass this message on, or one you compose, to at least 10 more email addresse's. PLEASE HOLD OUT UNTIL THEY LOWER THEIR PRICES TO BELOW $1.28 - $1.29. And KEEP THEM DOWN. THIS CAN REALLY WORK!
If you're not outraged, you're not paying attention!

SPEED KILLS BUT YA GET THERE FASTER

KTM 500
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 05-05-2001, 06:52 PM

Re: GAS PRICES

I'm sure we all get these e-mails from time to time, and they really do NOTHING to reduce prices, IMHO.

Here's something to add, however.

Tosco just recently purchased all 76 gas stations. They also had a really terrific fire jsut a little while ago, which they say has cost them plenty. All of this reported on our local (San Diego) news.

At this point all 76 station owners are forced to pass higher prices on to the consumer; in the San Diego area gas is as much as $1.90-$1.99 for Regular Unleaded. Owners of stations at this point are already reporting heavy losses. Sometimes they have to cut their prices by as much as $0.10 a gallon, and that doesn't even make them competitive to companies like Mobil/Exxon or Chevron! They are taking the losses to keep YOUR business! A lot of independent 76 station owners fear that they must go out of business to save their very livelihood.

Oh, and by the way, Tosco posted something like $168 billion in profits last time checked. (figure might be incorrect, but for a company that's "hurting" they still made record profits).

If you want to affect gas prices considerably, how about contacting your government representatives who are sitting by idly at this price gouging by companies who are operating well above margin. While you are at it, let them know that 18.something cents per gallon Federal tax and (in California at least) another 18.something cents per gallon State tax are killing us at the pump!

J.R. [img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/cool.gif[/img]

http://members.nbci.com/desertride/index.htm
post #3 of (permalink) Old 05-19-2001, 02:08 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Here in saskatoon saskatchewan the price has jumped up to 82.9 cent's per litre. Almost $4 a gallon. Sweet isn't it.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 05-19-2001, 04:00 PM

Must suck to be in your area. We have a good bout of gas wars in our area it was up to 1.90 now it's down to 1.70 and falling. This one gas station is offering gas @ 1.59 if you buy it one month in advance. It's also helps that a wallmart superstore opened and also droped the price about 10 cents off of everyone else.

If it has wheels or a skirt,
You can't afford it!
post #5 of (permalink) Old 05-20-2001, 10:50 AM

Hey all,

I'll be the first to admit that we Americans bitch and complain about our gas prices and ignore the rest of the world's prices. It seems that places like mr.horsepower named (Canada) and most, if not all, of Europe suffers from steep prices at the pump. Having higher crude prices only compounds matters for the rest of the world! And yes, it sucks for you guys!

It all comes down to our culture that since the 50's have been "driven" by car culture. We live in our cars and can't do a damn thing without them! We are what we drive.

Since we can "enjoy" normally low prices, it only makes sense that we should bitch about it (we are a country, after all, founded on the basis of bitching about our taxes! [img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/laugh.gif[/img]). I am concerned that a small group of businesses has this much control over what we pay for fuel. It's not like we can go over to an alternative fuel source overnight. We don't have the choices we need to show the oil companies that if we don't like what they are dishing to us, we'll move on to another source. We are stuck with the fuel we have.

I'll be really happy when someone comes up with a cheaper fuel source which allows me to keep the amount of horsepower, runs cleaner, and gets really good mileage compared to gasoline. This fuel source should be available easily to current gasoline-powered engines, either by design or through a CHEAP adaptation to the fuel system. Enviros bitching about all this should really consider this - Spend that money they use for lawsuits on some really good research!

I'm ranting. It's still early for me and I'm only on my second cup of coffee...

post #6 of (permalink) Old 05-20-2001, 08:08 PM

There have been many different inventions with hydrogen and electric/gas combinations as far as engines go. But as with most good things, they are bought by gas or car companies before they even get the word out about it. It's just the way it works. Besides if there was a new type of fuel available, you would have to find someway to get the gas stations to supply it. I mean look at the new 1 dollar coin, it's been out forever and you can't use 'em in any pop machines, because they don't want to spend the money or the time to add it to the machine. Yes it sucks but you just have to deal with it. As with a cheap addition to the existing engine, that would be something worth the time and effort.

If it has wheels or a skirt,
You can't afford it!
post #7 of (permalink) Old 05-20-2001, 11:32 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

We have all seen the propane powered rockcrowlers, how hard is this mod? Propane is REALLY cheep($8 for 20#'s here), Buth the question is whats the mileage, if it was compareable or slightly lower i would love to do it!!! I think it would be cool to do it... Does anybody have any Info about this?? Just wonderin.

Tim

88 blazer
Like A Rock
post #8 of (permalink) Old 05-21-2001, 06:21 AM

i know you can get the propane kits for deisels. it works about like NOS does to a gas engine, except it cleans out the engine, burns a lot cleaner. don't know much else about it tho...

Craig

'89 S-10 P/U 4.3L 31" Yoko M/Ts (For Sale!)[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/shocked.gif[/img]
'99 S-10 2.2L 2WD 5 Speed Stepside Totally Stock [img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/frown.gif[/img]

'88 Kawasaki Mojave (FOR SALE)[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/cool.gif[/img]
post #9 of (permalink) Old 05-21-2001, 07:10 PM

Yeah, now that you mention it, all the conversions I saw were from diesels... Hummers and diesel Mercedes'.

But the idea is that you take a relatively open system like a naturally aspirated engine and "close it up" a little to allow the propane to burn properly. I obviously don't know the specifics, but it DOES run much cleaner, quieter and with better mileage. I think the only problem is that the propane runs much hotter than regular gas?

post #10 of (permalink) Old 05-21-2001, 07:15 PM

When the first electric cars came out there was discussion about getting gas stations to supply "power stations" across the test area to get the cars the juice they needed. Obviously that's died out quite a bit. Besides, the electric cars at that time had a range of a whopping 60 miles or less!

I like the new Honda Insight hybrid car. Here's a car that could pretty much work! Gas for extra ooomph! and electric for normal driving. Batteries recharged during braking. 68-70 mpg and around 700 miles of freeway driving! I think the top speed on that was about 70 mph (which is good for me; don't need any more 100 mph tickets).

Just a thought. Do you really want something hydrogen-based running on the roads? I mean, gasoline isn't exactly safe but compared to an explosive gas? I see your point, but I'm hoping that popular will can eventually beat out the industry trying to keep the new technology down.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode