Chevy S10 blazer Question froma newbie - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
GM Small Trucks & SUV's All discussion of S-Class Trucks and SUV's

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 05-04-2001, 05:41 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Chevy S10 blazer Question froma newbie

Thanx in advance for any help. I own a '88 2.8 liter V6 manual trans blazer. The engine is shot but the body is fine. I bought a wrecked '88 4.3 liter Auto trans Blazer with the understanding that the Engine and Trans can be swaped to the Body of the 2.8 liter. I had a relative lined up to do the work for me. Alas due to "Murphy's Law" he will be unable to do the work.
So i have decided to do the work myself. Course this will be the biggest auto work i have ever done. But i had reciently been introduced to a friend that is a member of C.A.O.S (Central Alabama OffRoad Society). After seeing some of their videos and actualy taking a ROCK climbing ride i became hooked.
However, my first move is to get ONE of the blazers up and running. Is, in fact, the engine and trans enterchangable? If so...what would any of you rate the difficulty level of this project? I have done minor auto work: changing alternators, water pumps, radiators etc... simple stuff.
Also could anyone direct me to any websites that might offer in depth info on this type of thing.
Thanx again for your time.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 05-04-2001, 05:53 PM

Re: Chevy S10 blazer Question froma newbie

<font face="Comic Sans MS">The 4.3L and the 2.8L have different bellhousing bolt patterns. You can't swap the engine of one of those without the transmission that is currently behind it. Meaning you'd have to take the 4.3L out and the transmission and transfer case it had plus drive shafts out of the 4.3L powered blazer to swap into the other one. You'd also have to swap engine electronics (computer), but I'm venturing a guess that the wiring would be just about exactly the same... I would rate it very difficult compared to changing an alternator and/or radiators and water pumps.. But if you take your time, you should be able to accomplish it. You will also be very well advised to check out the motor mounts, shape and positioning of them to determine if you need aftermarket ones and weld those up... [img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/crazy.gif[/img] It's a pretty large project... [img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/crazy.gif[/img] But if you can get some of the people in the club to help you out (maybe join the club), it should be do-able... [img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/cool.gif[/img]</font>

Tim "Sandman"

ORC Land Use columnist:
My February article on ORC
(I'm finally back)
post #3 of (permalink) Old 05-05-2001, 10:57 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Re: Chevy S10 blazer Question froma newbie

Unfortunately, the 2.8 is a 60 degree V6 and the 4.3 is a 90 degree V6, so the transmissions and engine mounts are different. Swapping just the 4.3L onto the 5 speed can be done, though with a bellhousing from a V8 F-body(85-92)T-5. The engine mounts you may be able to just swap, I know the 2.8s used 3 bolts(not sure about the 4.3). The 5 speed will hold up behind the bigger engine, just be sure the clutch is in good shape and the slave cylinder doesn't leak, Oh and drive with some sense! Your other easy option is to put the 2.8/5 speed body onto the 4.3/autos frame(little more difficult, but worthwhile). Finally, the last option is to pull the engine and trans from the 4.3 and put it into the 2.8/5 speed one. Be advised the bellhousing bolts on the 4.3 are pretty hard to get out. The wiring for the engines should be pretty much identical, but the 4.3 uses a larger radiator, brake booster, cooling fan, and has the remote oil filter, etc. I planned a similar swap on an 85 with a 2.8/5speed using a 4.3L 4 barrel engine, but decided a complete drivetrain swap would be MUCH easier!
Also I believe the 2.8 ones had a smaller rear axle(maybe not though?)
Good luck.
A.Smith

1989 GMC S-15 4x4 4.3L/700R-4, 3.08s, 31" Sport Kings For Sale
1985 S-10 4x4 Soon to have 3504BM/TH350/D44/14FF, 35" Boggers
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode