bad noise - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
GM Small Trucks & SUV's All discussion of S-Class Trucks and SUV's

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 04-30-2001, 09:59 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

bad noise

I recently replace the oil pump and had to repair the front differential case. I got it all back together last night and took it for a little drive around the neighborhood. I get a loud poping crunch sound from the front lower part in from of the cab. It sounds like its coming from the front differnential. I had put regular 80w90 gear oil in it but it was way too low. I filled it back up and it still did it once. It is also not showing the front axle as engaged when I try to put it in 4x4. It happened more when I was letting off after hitting the gas hard or turning. I also bleed the clutch.I dont think its the clutch as it feels fine. the oil pressure is pretty good. Its around 35-40 psi on idle and will go up to 60 under acceleration. Do you guys have any idea on what this would be? Maybe the front axle engagement stuff isnt in there quite right? BTW its a 1987 GMC S-15 Jimmy 2.8 5 speed 4x4.

John

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 05-01-2001, 12:48 AM

Re: bad noise

Kinda sounds like the frount end isn't locking in when You pull it into 4WD find your vacume diapham useally located either under the battery tray or on the fender on the passenger side make shure it isn't rotted in anyway or torn if so you need to replace it that is one possibility

Another possibility is dirt in differential or if you messed ith the ring and pinion they may not be lined up right if so you can distroy the gears very quikly if left improperly adjusted
try the easiest thing first ----I would then go from there

Nissan_King_84

1984 Nissan King Cab 4x4
http://www.geocities.com/nowheres/Paul_s_720_Page.html
post #3 of (permalink) Old 05-01-2001, 09:02 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

It sounds like your front differential is being fully engaged by the cable. DId you remove the cable from the differential? If so, you need to make sure that the end of the cable FULLY ENGAGES the clip on the differential by pushing the cable down so the metal part is exposed. I had the same trouble with mine after I replaced the actuator cable. It took me 4 tries to get it right! Check for positive engagement by jacking up the front end and rotating the tires while watching the front driveshaft. When they both turn, the axle is engaged, if they both don't, you're not on the clip. If you have any trouble, e-mail me. I'm working on a kit to make the s-series "full-time" 4WD or lock the front axle all the time. Good Luck.
A.Gdog
[email protected] or [email protected]

1989 GMC S-15 4x4 4.3L/700R-4, 3.08s, 31" Sport Kings For Sale
1985 S-10 4x4 Soon to have 3504BM/TH350/D44/14FF, 35" Boggers
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 05-01-2001, 11:07 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Update, I should start a list of reasons why I am a da. I forgot to hook up the vacuum line to the part that pulls and pushes the cable. I now have 4x4 hi and low working. I didnt remove the cable but I did screw it in all the way. I have that adjusted correctly now. I know it is not the front differential now because I got it to make the horrible crunching crinkle noise when it was sitting still. It now seems to be clutch related. It does make a difference if its in 2wd or 4wd. It does it when I'm hitting a bump or causeing g forces on the jimmy to change. I think I may have something like a washer in the clutch housing. It seems to be clutch related. I can feel it through the clutch pedal hitting stuff. I cant feel it through the other pedals. The noise is very intermitant. I does seem to do it some when I'm stopping but not all the time or even most. I'm going to take off the clutch cover tomarrow and see if anything is in there. Sometimes I can get it to do it by pushing the clutch in. I'll let you guys know what it is. If its not in there them I'm taking it to a pro mechanic.

John

post #5 of (permalink) Old 05-02-2001, 09:47 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

Good luck troubleshooting the clutch. My 85 had a bad slave cylinder that would be fine for like 2 days after you bled it, then it would slowly leak fluid until the clutch would hardly work. Very embarrassing to grind gears when you're a good driver! LOL. One morning I had to push it backwards to get out of my driveway cause it wouldn't go into Reverse. Your problem sounds like a pressure plate or flywheel problem, though or maybe a foreign object inside the bellhousing like you said. Whatever it turns out to be, I hope its something easy.
A.S.

1989 GMC S-15 4x4 4.3L/700R-4, 3.08s, 31" Sport Kings For Sale
1985 S-10 4x4 Soon to have 3504BM/TH350/D44/14FF, 35" Boggers
post #6 of (permalink) Old 05-02-2001, 11:21 PM

STOP!!!!!!Before you go tearing into the clutch assembly try this
Locate the Crossmember that your tortion bars go thru and you adjust the tortion bars Take your hand and push up on the Cross member if it moves then that is your prob buds
goto you local chevy dealer and tell them you need new mounts for that crossmember ....they have a tendency to rot out and will cause all kinds of knocks and bangs under the truck that will transmit thru the trannie you may want to try checking it out

Nissan_King_84

1984 Nissan King Cab 4x4
post #7 of (permalink) Old 05-03-2001, 05:19 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Too late. I already opened up the clutch. It was the boot that goes on the slave cylinder for the clutch that was getting thrown around creating some noise. I would have it back together, however I managed to accidentally drop the push rod for the clutch cylinder down in the bellhousing and cant get it out. Do you guys have any ideas as to how I can get it out without takeing the transmission off?

post #8 of (permalink) Old 05-03-2001, 07:25 PM

get one of those Telescoping magnet you can get at the local harware store (I've even seen them at Walmart) and try useing that and a flashlight

Nissan_King_84

1984 Nissan King Cab 4x4
post #9 of (permalink) Old 05-03-2001, 08:18 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

I dont think that will work. I think it was brass. It was kinda gold colored. I have managed to move it around some with the coat hanger wire. If the flywheel wasnt so damned close to the bellhousing I would be able to get it out easily. I'm about ready to just take the transmission and stuff loose and move it back a couple of inches so I can get my hand in there. I'm still up for ideas.

John

post #10 of (permalink) Old 05-03-2001, 09:04 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

I got an idea to use a grabber tool we have. Its about 18 inches long and very flexible. It has 4 prongs on the end that open up like fingers when you push the cable from the other end. I managed to get the fingers to grab it and get it out. Its now out of the bellhousing. I'm going to fish around in there to make sure theres nothing else in there.

John

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode