Electric fan or Flex-a-lite? - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
GM Small Trucks & SUV's All discussion of S-Class Trucks and SUV's

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 04-27-2001, 12:57 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Electric fan or Flex-a-lite?

I have been reading about fan upgrades and have decided to do it, but I don't know if I want to get an electric fan or just install a flex-a-lite. I found info on the Black Magic Electric fan on Flex-a-lite's web site, it looks good but I'm not sure I like the idea of having to turn the fan on and off manually. I see that it comes with a thermostat, so does it regulate itself or do I have to turn it on and off? I also read about the Flex fans, they sound much easier but I heard that they don't cool as well, but I don't see why they souldn't work better because there is less air resistance when revolving faster. Has anyone used either or have info on what the best fan for coolong and added performance. Thanks in advance.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 04-27-2001, 01:28 PM

Re: Electric fan or Flex-a-lite?

<font face="Comic Sans MS">Someday I'm going to snag a dual electric fan setup out of a Caddy, Buick, perhaps Pontiac or other vehicles like that. You're more likely to find electric fans on a vehicle that has front wheel drive than one with RWD. The advantages to going that way is a) fans already built into a fan shroud and b) it's probably cheaper than buying two brand new fans or a dual fan setup from some company...

You don't want a flex fan if you either get into deeper water crossings (the water causes the fan to pull right into the radiator, or easily can) or lots of low speed high RPM situations, such as playing on the rocks, or similar activities. At lower speeds and higher RPM's the fan is useless (flattens out at higher RPM's) and combined with low speeds (not much air flow through the radiator) this will cause you to overheat...

You can get the wiring set up so you can use it with a thermostat so the fans only operate when needed. If you do this, it's also a very good idea to set up a manual override switch in the cab so if the thermostat fails you can still activate the fans. If you want to get fancy you can also wire up some LED lights near your switch to indicate when the fans are on and off (red and green LED indicator perhaps? green meaning fans on)... [img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/crazy.gif[/img]</font>

Tim "Sandman"

ORC Land Use columnist:
My February article on ORC
(I'm finally back)
post #3 of (permalink) Old 04-27-2001, 09:34 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

I was considering the same thing you are now, about well I guess it's been almost a yr ago. I checked around and looked at the flex-alite electric fans they have one for s-10 app's I originally installed two hand me down fans and they gave me trouble so on the advice of weasle,and diver I spent the 200.oo and ordered the flexalite elec. It comes with it's own tstat and mounting hardware etc. I mounted mine right in the original shroud and it is wired to come on automatically, also whenever the AC is on. I have not had a bit of problem with it never overheats or even close, This thing sounds like a blower under the hood when it comes on!!! I can be sitting in traffic and the temp will rise a little maybe 10 degress ( normal) the fan comes on, and you can watch the gauge drop I recently installed a mechanical tep gauge so I can get really exact readings... Take my advice buy the best and only cry once, you will for sure feel the power increase also I'm guessing 10-15hp? Well good luck I'm doing alot of work on my Jimmy this weekend I'll post about my bushing replacment project on monday.

If it has tits or tires it will give you trouble.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 04-27-2001, 10:15 PM
Addict

I have the Flexalite 60 on my ZR2. You can feel the power, but e-mail Mark Hall on the Big-Bowtie fan. It is a dual slimline either a 250 or 230. If I had it to do all over again, I would get it. It costs more, but my 4.3 with all the mods can get hot with that fan. Trust me the added cost for the dual fan will be worth it unless you live in an area where it never gets hot and you don't have a built motor like I do.

Tom "Deep Sea Diver" Brantley
post #5 of (permalink) Old 04-29-2001, 02:03 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

for those of you who replaced instaled an electric fan - what did you have to do with your belt? How did you know what length belt you needed?

post #6 of (permalink) Old 04-30-2001, 08:38 PM
Addict

You don't change the belt at all. It drives the water pump. You simply take the fan off of the water pump. If you get power pullies like I did then you have to get a shorter belt. That info is sent to you from the pully manufacturer.

Tom "Deep Sea Diver" Brantley
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode