putting tranny back in, have a few problems - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
GM Small Trucks & SUV's All discussion of S-Class Trucks and SUV's

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 04-26-2001, 10:36 AM Thread Starter

putting tranny back in, have a few problems

im reinstalling my 700R4 in my 89, had some work done on it, and i can't get the torque converter or the flywheel to move so i can line up the bolts...got any ideas? i made sure the tranny is in neutral. tried turning the flywheel by prying on the teeth and by the bolt on the front of the engine. tried turning the t.c. by using a screwdriver in the notches...no luck. this is really the only thing left to do do besides find a few lost nuts and bolts and fill it with oil so i can go play this weekend...
thanks guys

Craig

'89 S-10 P/U 4.3L 31" Yoko M/Ts (For Sale!)[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/shocked.gif[/img]
'99 S-10 2.2L 2WD 5 Speed Stepside Totally Stock [img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/frown.gif[/img]

'88 Kawasaki Mojave (FOR SALE)[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/cool.gif[/img]
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 04-26-2001, 12:38 PM

Re: putting tranny back in, have a few problems

<font face="Comic Sans MS">Pull your spark plugs and ground the coil out (safety)... That will make it quite a bit easier to roll the engine over. [img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/crazy.gif[/img] Just a thought...</font>

Tim "Sandman"

ORC Land Use columnist:
My February article on ORC
(I'm finally back)
post #3 of (permalink) Old 04-26-2001, 12:53 PM

Something eles you can try to take some more pressure of the crank is disconnect the Fan belt

On the 4.3 with serpintine belt the easiest and fastest way I've found to Disconnec the belt is to Tack a tire Iron AKA the lug wrench that came with the truck place it in the tentioner with the lug part faceing the drivrs side of the truck and the other end on the pass side

Rest the pointed end agaist passenger side of the pully and rest the tire Iron agaist teh drivers side of the tentioner hub then pry the top of the wrench toward the Passenger side of the truck this will release the tention so you can slip the belt off instalation is reverse

if you try one or both methods mentioned you should be able to find turning the engine a bit easier

Nissan_King_84

1984 Nissan King Cab 4x4
http://www.geocities.com/nowheres/Paul_s_720_Page.html
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 04-27-2001, 07:22 AM Thread Starter

well, we loosened up the bolts on the bell housing, and "shook" the tranny, something poped, like it "fell" into place, and it was all good. i got it all back together and drove it to work!!! no puddles either!!! now where are those mud holes?
thanks guys, i like that tire iron idea...

Craig

'89 S-10 P/U 4.3L 31" Yoko M/Ts (For Sale!)[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/shocked.gif[/img]
'99 S-10 2.2L 2WD 5 Speed Stepside Totally Stock [img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/frown.gif[/img]

'88 Kawasaki Mojave (FOR SALE)[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/cool.gif[/img]
post #5 of (permalink) Old 04-28-2001, 02:00 AM

Well thaks for the Comlement on the tire Iron Idea
it sounds like the reason everything Was binding is Cause the tourque converter wasn't seated right in the trannie here is another tip just in case you have to remove the trannie again

when you goto install the trannie put the converter on the shaft first (duh you can't put it on afterward)but here is where the tip comes in Spin the converter and push it in until you here it pop into place and the converter is almost completely up agaist the trannie (as you found out with the overdrive trannies it'll pop in twice) then put the trannie up and everything will go smoother

This may seem to be commen knowledge for some But may help others as well

Nissan_King_84

1984 Nissan King Cab 4x4
http://www.geocities.com/nowheres/Paul_s_720_Page.html
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode