swamper thornbirds - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
GM Small Trucks & SUV's All discussion of S-Class Trucks and SUV's

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 04-25-2001, 02:26 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

swamper thornbirds

How are they? I was thinking about getting them over BFG muds. Hows they're tread wear? Road noise? Performance in mud? How are they compared to BFG muds?

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 04-25-2001, 04:01 PM

Re: swamper thornbirds

<font face="Comic Sans MS">Avoid thornturds... [img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/frown.gif[/img] The lugs don't have the spacing needed to self clean well at all... If you're going to spend the money get one of the other Interco tires, like the TSL or other ones... I've never rain the thornbirds but everyone I've talked to who's owned a set say they're crap on wet roads, ice, mud, sand might be ok, not sure, not heard of anybody who's used 'em in sand... [img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/crazy.gif[/img]</font>

Tim "Sandman"

ORC Land Use columnist:
My February article on ORC
(I'm finally back)
post #3 of (permalink) Old 04-26-2001, 05:44 PM

Same here, Everybody I know told me that they wouldn't get another set...[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/mad.gif[/img] And if you're ever in the artic region, they Suck as hell in snow and winter conditions...

Yannick
1987 stock hardtop Zuk now just arrived [img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/smile.gif[/img]
1999 S10 Zr2 4.3L 31x10.5 BFG M/T's
http://lukinfomud.homestead.com/frontpage.html
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 04-26-2001, 06:54 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

They suck. please don't waste your time with them. Later

<font color=red>"I'm so bad baby I don't care"</font color=red>

post #5 of (permalink) Old 04-27-2001, 08:47 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

I have never ran them but from what I have heard: "They don't do anything excellent, but ok and they are scarry as hell on the street in rain"

"Ride it like you stole it!"
post #6 of (permalink) Old 04-28-2001, 12:33 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

My buddy just put a set on his Z-71 and they SUCK - I gotta drive it 200mi about in rain/ dry roads. They are loud and love to wander- I think their worse then the other swampers far as wandering......

post #7 of (permalink) Old 04-28-2001, 06:29 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

A dog could piss on the road a mile ahead of you, and you'd skid!
I think that best sums up the Thornbird Experience!
A.Smith

1989 GMC S-15 4x4 4.3L/700R-4, 3.08s, 31" Sport Kings For Sale
1985 S-10 4x4 Soon to have 3504BM/TH350/D44/14FF, 35" Boggers
post #8 of (permalink) Old 05-05-2001, 10:38 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

I have been running Thornbirds for about a thousand miles now and I haven't had any problems with them. I don't do any hard off roading butI do a lot of highway driving. The hum is pretty loud on the highway but you get used to it. The only thing that I don't like about them is the sidewall lugs rub the fender when I cut the wheel the entire. They look good but if you plan on doing a lot of mudding I do not suggest these tires.

post #9 of (permalink) Old 05-05-2001, 10:38 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Obviously you don't live in the midwest where we get ice, snow, monsoon type rains in the summer, etc. Or, maybe you just haven't had the pleasure of skidding off the road and cursing them yet! Don't worry, you will!
I honestly don't know why or how Interco still makes and sells them. They suck on the road and they suck off it! Just cause they look aggressive I guess!
A.Smith

1989 GMC S-15 4x4 4.3L/700R-4, 3.08s, 31" Sport Kings For Sale
1985 S-10 4x4 Soon to have 3504BM/TH350/D44/14FF, 35" Boggers
post #10 of (permalink) Old 05-06-2001, 03:08 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

i ran a set on a half ton chevy, 35's, 1 ton rear axle w/locker, i liked them, they performed well in deep mud due to the huge paddle like lugs on the sides, they also have the toughest side walls that i've ever seen. the only time i ran off the road with them was when i was driving way too fast in the rain(my fault). if you experience wandering with these tires i would suggest checking your balljounts,bearings,rod ends,tire pressure etcetera. they sell alot of these tires because they're good offroad and very tough. just my 2cents.

Ayeeeaa!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode