S-10 suspension or straight axle - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
GM Small Trucks & SUV's All discussion of S-Class Trucks and SUV's

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 04-20-2001, 01:11 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

S-10 suspension or straight axle

I have an "83 S-10, when I got it the first thing to go was the 2.8L to be replaced with a '63 283. Then the 28 inch tires were replaced with 31x10.50 Desert Dogs. In order to get the tires to fit, I needed some lift. I didn't like the look of the 3 inch body lift, but it was cheap and it did the job.The dash and instruments were replaced with a custom made piece with Auto Meter Ultra Lites. The body was in rough shape when I got it and after six more years of Minnesota winters there is not much left that resembles a body. I will be picking up a South Dakota body and a 5-speed transmission for it the end of this month. While I have the body off I plan on sandblasting and painting the frame. I would like to move up to 33+" tires. I thought that I could put in a 5" suspension lift and get rid of the body lift. The only kit I can find that is 5" is a Trail Master. They said that it will fit up to 32" tires! If I wanted that I could put in a 3" suspesion lift, keep the 31's and not have to drop the torsion bars!

My questions are as follows:

Is there anyone else who makes a 5+" suspesion lift for a regular S-10 (not ZR2)?

Has anyone had a problem with alignment after the suspesion lift? (I have heard of a conversion outfit up here that puts cheap lift kits in there new trucks and the alignment guy says it is impossible to get a them aligned properly!)

Is there anyone who makes a coil over spring that could replace the torsion bars?

Does anyone know of a good Jeep straight axle donor? ( front dif on the left and coils on all four corners. the lifts are cheaper and they are proven reliable.)

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 04-21-2001, 01:02 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

Re: S-10 suspension or straight axle

Most 33 inch tires are actually around 31 to 32 I think you'll be alright if you won't a true 33 inch tire you'll have to step up to 35's, the 33x12.50's on my blazer measured 31.2 on a 8 inch rim.

www.Kansasfourwheeling.8m.com
post #3 of (permalink) Old 04-21-2001, 10:41 AM

I've been told - and this might only apply to the newer trucks - that a 32" tire will not fit unless you do some major fender trimming. Like almost through the floor panel and firewall. This is where fiberglass fenders would come in really handy for you.

As far as alignment goes, if you can get some beefier parts for the truck, like Moog (or better) heavy duty balljoints, tie rod ends and steering components, find some way to beef up the idler arm, etc., then it should be easier to KEEP an alignment. It won't take much on just about ANY vehicle to lose a good alignment with big tires and having the torsions cranked up... Alignments on big tires for ANY truck will be difficult to dial in. You will need an "old salt" mechanic with the saavy and patience to get it right!

You want coil-overs? The problem will be with getting them on the truck with the stub axles in place. Got $$$$$$ and a really good fabricator? The wallet, er sky's the limit! Coil over will be easier to implement with a solid axle.

I think either direction you take would be really cool. Personally, with as much trouble as you've gone through already to trick our your truck, to get the tire size you want and to utilize the power you have with that 283, I would venture into getting a solid axle. You might want to look around here and check the posts for solid axle conversions; there are quite a few threads on this board alone already.

If you're going all out you might want to look at getting a beefier real axle as well. Might save you some headaches in the long run if you play hard with those big tires. That size tire will more quickly wear out your pinion gears!

J.R. [img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/cool.gif[/img]

http://members.nbci.com/desertride/index.htm
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 04-21-2001, 12:10 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

with the 3" body and the trailmaster you can fit 33" tires.($1200)
superlift will have a 6" lift out in the next few months.(approx $1400)
stagewest makes a conversion kit to use a jeep axle and a set of leaf springs..($1600and you provide the axle)

If you check out s10-4x4.com and go into the SFA section on the site and the bbs you will get a ton of more Ideas for changing your suspension.

Personally I have a set of 71 bronco axles(dana 44 and ford 9") not put in yet I'm still trying to find the right springs and such not to mention time to install them after I am done I will either have 33" tires or 35" tires depending on what I want when I finish.

88 S-10 Blazer 4.3l 2" body, torsion bar/shackle lift, 30" muds, custom front/rear bumpers, 4 KC daylighters, 3.73 Gears
post #5 of (permalink) Old 04-21-2001, 11:50 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

lake_55, thanks for the s10-4x4.com note but, I can't seem to get past the intro. If I click on "skip intro" I get stuck on a page that says "Apply your sticker" in the title box. Have you had any problems with it? I will try again later. If I can't get it to work at home I will give it a shot at work. I will check on that Superlift kit.

Thanks again

post #6 of (permalink) Old 04-22-2001, 12:19 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

J.R., wow, I don't know what they were talking about when they told you about the 32" tires. Unless they were talking about with no lift at all? I butchered my front fenders before I realised that I was going to have to get a lift. Now I have lots of room, The only problem that I have now, besides the fact that my frame sticks down even further than it did originally, is that my tires rub on the frame so my turning radius is like 1/2 a city block. I am leaning more towards the solid axle every day. If I did go with the solid front I would go with a matching rear. I was talking about this with my Dad today and I mentioned that I like the Jeep Cherokee because the front dif is on the left side. He suggested that I could take a full size Chevy and flip it over. Not only would I get the dif on the left side but my pinion would now be on the top instead of the bottom and I wouldn't have such a steep angle on the u-joints. He says he knows that they make difs with the pinion on top, but he also said that you would pay through the a$$ for them. Have you ever heard of this? I will continue to try and dig up more info from anywhere that I can find it. Any more info or websites that you would know about would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

post #7 of (permalink) Old 04-22-2001, 02:59 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

lake_55, nevermind, I found a link to that site on a thread futher down the line. COOL!! When I win the lottery I will have to have Walker Evens Racing build me a SFA! That is really something! That's what dreams are for. Which reminds me, if the wife finds out that I am still up she will think that I am having an affair. I don't think that she will believe me that I was looking up stuff for my truck!! I will keep checking back.

Thanks again.

post #8 of (permalink) Old 04-22-2001, 11:40 AM
Addict

Superlifts 6" ZR2 kit is available for regular trucks too.

Tom "Deep Sea Diver" Brantley
post #9 of (permalink) Old 04-22-2001, 11:55 AM
Addict

I have a Dana 30 out of a 70 Bronco that I will sell you. You will need to go through it and rebuild it because it is stock. It has the same dimesions as a Dana 44 that the Bad Bowtie is running. You would need to install a Powertrax or Detroit, gears of your choice, run a Scout steering box that would be $200 newly rebuilt, and do a Disc brake conversion or rebuild the drums on it. Or grind the perches and do a leaf sring setup like from Stage west. The driveshaft is in the right location and buy the way a Bronco front end and 9" is 1.5" shorter in the rear that a stock S-10. So the front wheels would be tucked under 1.5" more than stock on each side in the front because the stock S-10 IFS is 1" wider than the rear. I've been to Mark Halls and spent the day. This is good info from Someone who knows. And a Dana 30 will hold up to 36" tires and say a mild V8. So more than likely anything you would ever want would be okay. I have all the info you would need to do a coil spring setup like the Bad Bowtie because I'm doing one myself this year. But I'm sinking $2,000 into a Dana 44 with Detriot and 4:88 gears. Most people don't want to drop that kinda cash. I already have the 9" to rebuild. Gears, Brakes, and the Detroit will set me back on that $800 at least. Also, if you live somewhere in my travels which is all the time, I can deliver it to you. Tom

Tom "Deep Sea Diver" Brantley
post #10 of (permalink) Old 04-22-2001, 05:57 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

try looking into an early 70s bronco for a doner axle, i think they may only be a little wider...

Ian

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode