wheel spacers - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
GM Small Trucks & SUV's All discussion of S-Class Trucks and SUV's

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 04-19-2001, 11:21 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

wheel spacers

What are the diadvantages of using wheel spacers on our trucks? I'm just curious because I could use the extra room, but I know that most wheel manufactures state that on our 4wd's we need the weight centerec on the hub and a positive offset.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 04-19-2001, 01:14 PM

Re: wheel spacers

Here are some of the things that can happen when you use spacers or run a rimm with a deep offset
With spacers you may not have enouph stud left to mount the wheel strong enouph to hold or worse yet the Studs will be too short for you to Get the Lugnut on more then a thread or Two
If they do fit or big offset wheels wil increase the load on the wheel bearings and cause premature Failer
Increase frount end wear as well
You may lose your turning ability due to the wheel sticking out farther (Tire my hit fenders as you turn Where they didn't before)
in some states it's illegal to have too much tire sticking out of the fender
in my opinion if you only want to go A 1/4 inch or something I would personally get different rims Cause it would be alot safer and you will be shure the wheel isn't going to fall off while your driving down the road
I had a vehical at one time that I put Mags on And used to wrong type of lug on them (needed short shank lugs insted use the stock Acorns) and got the same effect that you get from adding spacers After driving the car for a couple of days I had a wheel pass me on the road when the Brake drumm hit the ground i realized the wheel that passed me was mine that was supposed to be holding my car up
If you want to take your chances that's your option
but do yourself a favor when you put the spacers on then the wheel make shure you have at least an inch to inch and a half of stud sticking out for the lugnut to thread on to Just to be safe
Hope you find this info useful

Nissan_King_84

1984 Nissan King Cab 4x4
http://www.geocities.com/nowheres/Paul_s_720_Page.html
post #3 of (permalink) Old 04-19-2001, 03:45 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

I am after a wider stance and was thinking about wheel spacers too. Some spacers are made to use the factory lugnuts to bolt the spacers to the hub, and they come with threads on them and extra lug nuts for the wheel. I want to take this method of approach, because I will have plenty of threads for the wheel. How much will these spacers (approx 1" to 1.5") increase wear on the bearings?

Hey BigMileages10, how are your spacers holding up?

Thanks for the help, guys.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 04-20-2001, 09:40 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

I have an "83 S-10. I put '31x10.5 inch tires on 8 inch wide rim (with no offset). The rim made the tires look wide and mean, however in less than 6 months I had to replace the front wheel bearings, rotors, and calipers. I originally thought that since it had 170,00+ miles on it that it was probably a good thing to do anyway. Less than a year later I was driving down the highway at 70+ miles an hour and I started to smell something burning. I pulled over and saw smoke coming from the front wheels. I limped it along to the next exit (1.5 miles) on the shoulder at about 20 mph. By the time I got off the highway, the rotor was GLOWING red. The very next day that I could I went in to the tire shop and had them put the tires on the original 6/6.5 inch rims !! They told me that I would have problems with the tires wearing out unevenly and that it wasn't good for the tires to be on such a small rim. I have been driving them that way for the last 4+ years with no wear or wheel bearing problems! I am considering a straight axle swap soon, and will be posting a question on that shortly. They are alot stonger and can handle the extra weight out wide.

Good luck

post #5 of (permalink) Old 04-20-2001, 07:10 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

The wheel Spacers you want are the ones with the studs on them, I am getting ready to get a pair for the rear of my Jimmy, Would like my rear end to be almost as wide as the front, this will slightly increase turning radius, but will look better than the Jimmy "tight @ss" Skinny track rear end

My truck is not rusty, that's caked on mud. Jason
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode