Changing gears - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
GM Small Trucks & SUV's All discussion of S-Class Trucks and SUV's

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 04-17-2001, 08:43 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Changing gears

How difficult is it to change out gears in a jimmy? Any special tools required? I currently have 3.43 gears and would like to go to 4.11. How much difference would this change make with 31" tires?

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 04-17-2001, 09:03 PM

Re: Changing gears

<font face="Comic Sans MS">A dial indicator, torque wrenches (inch lbs, ft lbs), shims, and a ton of patience are required to swap gears. If you don't get them in there just right, they'll soon be toasted... This is one situation where it might be best to bite the bullet and leave it to the pros and get a warranty. The tools you'll need will cost at least as much as taking it to get them installed... [img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/crazy.gif[/img] Make sure you change out front and back at the same time or don't use 4x until you get the ratios matched, or plenty of expensive parts will be lying on the ground under the truck... [img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/crazy.gif[/img]</font>

Tim "Sandman"

ORC Land Use columnist:
My February article on ORC
(I'm finally back)
post #3 of (permalink) Old 04-18-2001, 07:32 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

how much does it cost professionally?

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 04-18-2001, 11:24 AM

<font face="Comic Sans MS">Around here it would cost around $300 I think for the rear... The front differential on these trucks isn't the normal style, it splits apart down the center, and I have no idea how much it would cost to do gears on that one but it would be quite a bit more expensive just because it's harder to get to it and work on it so they'd have to pull it [img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/frown.gif[/img]... As always, it's a good idea to call around and see who can cut what deal...

A good set of tools would run possibly up to somewhere around there depending on what all tools you'd need to get... The warranty itself might be worth the extra $ for having them done though... [img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/crazy.gif[/img]</font>

Tim "Sandman"

ORC Land Use columnist:
My February article on ORC
(I'm finally back)
post #5 of (permalink) Old 04-19-2001, 02:04 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

Denver I got a Quote for rear 250 and front 350. That is with having all parts and install kits and gear lube. The install kits and the auburn is all I am waiting on. Along with the 600$. This year is all I can hope for. Later!

1995,4X4,4.3L/TBI,3"Body Lift,Flares,31's,Nerf Bars, K&N,TB/Shackel Lift,Grill/Brush Guard,Double Rear Bar.

post #6 of (permalink) Old 04-21-2001, 12:15 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

another way to go about it is to find another truck in a junkyard with 4.11 gears and swap the front and rear axles after giving them a good lokking over. It is much cheaper I did my front and rear for a total of $200.

88 S-10 Blazer 4.3l 2" body, torsion bar/shackle lift, 30" muds, custom front/rear bumpers, 4 KC daylighters, 3.73 Gears
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode