TB crank up - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
GM Small Trucks & SUV's All discussion of S-Class Trucks and SUV's

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 04-15-2001, 11:18 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

TB crank up

I'm not looking for a sky-high ride, but I am wanting an inch or two above stock. So is doing the TB crank/add a leaf lift worth it or should I shoot for a superlift kit or something like that? (I've heard nothing but trouble with the superlift kits and the like) If the TB crank is worth it, how much can i turn them up without having to replace front end components all the time? Also how much bigger of a tire will I be able to fit, and will I need new shocks?

Thanks for the help.

Honda Civics make good parking spots!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 04-16-2001, 03:10 PM

Re: TB crank up

Tell you what Put a 3" body lift on there thenyou will have the room to Clear 31/10.5x15's

If you feel like trimming the fenders You can also put 33's on the s-series but you will be takeing Alot of metel of to Clear the tires You have to Make shure the opening on the fenders (at the bottom) are no Smaller then 36" to Clear the 33's with no problems
Personally I would leave the stock suspention Alone
If you insist on messing with the Tortion Bars I wouldn't go more then an inch with Shackels or blocks in the back to Match

Nissan_King_84

1984 Nissan King Cab 4x4
http://www.geocities.com/nowheres/Paul_s_720_Page.html
post #3 of (permalink) Old 04-16-2001, 11:41 PM

Re: TB crank up

First, cranking up your torsion bars does absolutely NOTHING for suspension travel. All it will do is put extra strain on the CV joints (although you will be hard pressed to find anyone who will tell you it has happened - or at least will admit to it!).

This is sort of a comparison to apples and oranges... Cranking up your torsion bars only will gift you a little clearance for tires, but will make your ride rougher and "bouncier". You are, in effect, changing the spring rate of the front end to be more responsive. This can wear out shocks and CV joints more quickly than stock height.

A "lift kit" only provides you will a drop bracket for the front end and will usually come with some kind of longer a-arm, either upper or lower, or both. This doesn't even really give you much travel either, but some. After that you are just, again, cranking up the torsion bars to get lift. The drop bracket for the front end is the key, as it will keep your CV joints and stub axles more in line.

Sorry this is long, but I have feeling that most folks aren't getting the difference between cranking up the T-bars and a "lift kit".

By the way, I use "lift kit" as a generic term. If I had the knowledge and expertise (oh, and money), I'd be running longer a-arms, bigger torsions, reservoir shocks and pre-runner rear springs...

But I might just end up getting another truck!

J.R. [img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/cool.gif[/img]

http://members.nbci.com/desertride/index.htm
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode