smoke on startup - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
GM Small Trucks & SUV's All discussion of S-Class Trucks and SUV's

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 04-15-2001, 10:08 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

smoke on startup

I have a large puff of smoke (white) from the exhaust on startup only. It's a little worse after sitting for longer periods of time (over night). It's not really a nuisance but I'm sure a sign of a problem or pending problem! Any suggestions on what to look for?

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 04-15-2001, 10:16 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Re: smoke on startup

well i'm guessing you have a high milage engine, and your trucks eats a little oil, Right?
the thing is your valves seats are worn. When your running your engine take off the oil cap, you will hear a humming, and air is blowing out your oil hole, this is known as blow by, its the amount of mixture that is (ironically) blowing by your valves, You are loosing compression and burning oil, fouling your plugs, and not getting the best gas miliage. I think its time for a Valve Job.

Tim

88 blazer
Like A Rock
post #3 of (permalink) Old 04-16-2001, 12:52 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

Thanks for the reply. I only have the background that I have gained from fixing up my truck over the last year, but how easy is it for the do-it-yourselfer to do this and what all is involved?

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 04-16-2001, 01:01 AM
jeeper131

mine does this as well, and I have a 2.8 with 44,000 miles on it. My asked my mechanic about it and he said that it was pretty standard for small block chevy's to do that. It is becuase of the valve seats not fitting right, but I get good mileage and have excellent compression, so I'm just gonna let it puff away.

MudFlap
93 S-10 in the works
post #5 of (permalink) Old 04-16-2001, 11:40 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

MIne does that also but i have under 80,000 miles on it. Unless you are using an excessive amount of oil, don't bother with it. Every mechanic I know says that it's typical and ain't worth fixing.

#3 Dale, will live on.
post #6 of (permalink) Old 04-16-2001, 02:25 PM

Yes As My Nick Applies I currently Own an 84 Nissan King Cab But In the Past I have owned several Chevy's (I'd have to take my Shoes Off to count them if that says anything)
Anyhow Like these guys are saying unless your burning Oil (like going thruogh several Quart's a week) what your mor then Likely Experenceing is Condensation Burning out of your Exhaust on startup That's commen for Any Vehical
For Intsance I also have A 88 VW that has Blows alot of white smoke on startup in the mornings Expesially after I't rained overnight And kinda chilly
Now if the Smoke is Really thick white smoke you can't see thru then you have oil leaking into the Cylinder while the engine is cold this could be Leaking Valve (Not likely but can happen ) or try this Open the air cleaner where the hose from your Valve cover goes into your air cleaner ther is a sponge looking Filter in the air cleaner Take it out and replace it Clean out the air cleaner Again then wait till the next morning see if it does it Alot of time this filter will get dirty And get oil soaked and saturate the bottom of the air cleaner and cause oil to Get into the Cylinders that way as well
A Little Fuel Injection Cleaner helps as well

Nissan_King_84

1984 Nissan King Cab 4x4
http://www.geocities.com/nowheres/Paul_s_720_Page.html
post #7 of (permalink) Old 04-16-2001, 09:50 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Smoking on start up can be valve stem seals also. They harden as they age. The oil will leak by them into the cylinders. You can check how well your valves are seating by doing a compression test and seeing how well it holds the compression. It will also give you a good idea as to the condition of your rings and cylider walls. As a general rule of thumb ...........White smoke = Water ; Blue smoke = Oil ; Black smoke = Fuel.

post #8 of (permalink) Old 04-20-2001, 07:20 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

If it smokes on startup, On a chevy it's 99% of the time just valve stem seals, dont worry about it, If you have good Compression, the valves are fine and sealing well. Every Vehicle I have owned Has been chevy (other than 1 Ford Mistake) have ran high miles, 175000 + and all of them started smoking at around 100,000 seen some of them run well over 200,000 Leave it alone, spend some of that head job money on something fun, Like a Winch!!

My truck is not rusty, that's caked on mud. Jason
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode