s-10 to truggy? - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
GM Small Trucks & SUV's All discussion of S-Class Trucks and SUV's

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 04-12-2001, 02:02 AM
jeeper131

s-10 to truggy?

I was staring at my trusty ol' 93 S10 (2.8 TBI w/ manual trans), trying to figure out what to do about the rapidly encroaching rust along the rocker panels. I live in illinois, so this is to be expected, but it really came on strong. Right now the shocks are trashed (got airborn, long story), the heater core is leaking (how hard is this to fix?) and the fuel filter needs replacing (not a big deal unless you don't have any tools at college)...well I had this idea. What about just cutting away most of the body, including all the rust, cutting off the top so that its convertable style, cutting away the fenderwells so that bigger tires fit no problem and making it into a truggy type vehicle? I have a buddy who does custom rollcages, so I could build a cage for the cab. Then I could make get a softtop made for when it rains...the only thing I can't get past is doors, which would be nice to have. Is this idea ridiculous? Just bouncing some ideas around.

MudFlap
93 S-10 in the works
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 04-12-2001, 02:34 PM

Re: s-10 to truggy?

if you don't care about ever getting any money out of it in the future, I say go for it. I like those crazy ideas like that.... if you do it, post some pics.... there was a convertable s10 on ebay yesterday, it might still be there...

Craig

'89 S-10 P/U 4.3L 31" Yoko M/Ts (For Sale!)[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/shocked.gif[/img]
'99 S-10 2.2L 2WD 5 Speed Totally Stock [img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/frown.gif[/img]

'88 Kawasaki Mojave (FOR SALE)[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/cool.gif[/img]
post #3 of (permalink) Old 04-12-2001, 05:45 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

So what happened with the airborn story?

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 04-12-2001, 09:53 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Your buddy the fabricator could make some 1/2 doors(Like a Jeep) for use with the soft-top. I say GO 4 IT! Toyota guys do it all the time! Go all out with rock sliders, custom bumpers, 44" Boggers, dual dana 60's, maybe a 454? See What a cool truck you can build! good Luck.
A.Smith

1989 GMC S-15 4x4 4.3L/700R-4, 3.08s, 31" Sport Kings For Sale
1985 S-10 4x4 Soon to have 3504BM/TH350/D44/14FF, 35" Boggers
post #5 of (permalink) Old 04-14-2001, 11:06 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

I saw the S-10 on ebay and thought it was pretty slick..I would love to see someone make a kit with the brackets and soft top for the Blazers,these things are dying for a ragtop.plus it would make them a little quicker (shaving 300 or more pounds)I'm sure if someone did that you would hear sawzalls buzzing from coast to coast.

http://members.theglobe.com/moneystight/24_21A.JPG http://members.theglobe.com/moneystight/22_19A.JPG
post #6 of (permalink) Old 04-14-2001, 10:28 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

I say "GO 4 IT" Maybe a 454/TH400/NP205 and D60s with 44's? for power!
A.Smith

1989 GMC S-15 4x4 4.3L/700R-4, 3.08s, 31" Sport Kings For Sale
1985 S-10 4x4 Soon to have 3504BM/TH350/D44/14FF, 35" Boggers
post #7 of (permalink) Old 04-15-2001, 06:47 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

About the top. I cut the roof of my ford a made a T-top out of it. It looks good, the only thing that sucks is when I get caught in the rain. It's not fun. I'm trying to come up with a homemade soft top now. Go for it man. Later

"We are Motorhead, were out to kick your ass"

post #8 of (permalink) Old 04-16-2001, 01:14 AM
jeeper131

ah yes, the airborn story. Its pretty simple really, almost as simple as it is stupid. I was playing lacrosse at a rival college and we were there all day for a tournament. The parking lot next to the field was pretty small, so most people ended up parking along this asphalt walkway that went through the park, I among them. However, next to parking lot was this mudpuddle, modest to say the least. Maybe three or four feet wide, one foot across, but still its a mudpuddle, it was calling me. All day as I walked back and forth between games I was staring at the mudpuddle, it was making fun of me, calling my truck names that sort of thing. So after our last game, which we lost so I was in a bad mood anyway, I decided to drive through that mudpuddle like nobodies business. I hit it at about 3,000 RPMs in second and rapidly found out that my modest little mudpuddle had the depth of a gravel quarry. My front end went down and then BAM! as it hit the parking lot. This was no ordinary BAM, this was the type of BAM that normally heralded engines falling out and that sort of thing. Then, I'm airborn. The front end came up so hard that my foot went down hard on my gas peddle and the rest of the truck was propelled through the puddle and into the air. My buddies in front of and in back of me swear the thing was three or four feet in the air. Well, what goes up ect ect ect, so down I came. I hit so hard my radio presets were reset to random stations. The guy who was riding shotgun damn near had to get a change of underpants. When I got out to inspect the damage I totally expected to see two popped tires, some crumpled fenders and maybe and engine sitting back in the puddle, however my little S10 came thorugh with flying colors. The only real damage was a heater core that started leaking coolant (which I didn't find out about for a couple of weeks, nice little mess that made) and my shocks have gone completely squishy. Driving down the freeway feels like being on a small boat in a storm, it rocks so bad. I figured I'm fortunate I didn't hit it at a turn or else my A-arms would still be decorating the puddle. So thats my story, and I'm sticking to it.

MudFlap
93 S-10 in the works
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode