Tachometer - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
GM Small Trucks & SUV's All discussion of S-Class Trucks and SUV's

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 04-11-2001, 12:13 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

Tachometer

I'm wanting to put a tac in my truck, a 91 4.3 s-10 blazer. My question is where do I plug in the "coil wire". I call it this because when I pulled the tac off my old truck, that wire went to one of the posts on the coil, It was an old style cylinder type coil. So on my 4.3 engine, where do I tie in the coil wire? To one of the four wires coming off of the coil, and if so which one, or is there somewhere else under the dash? If anyone has done this instalation before please help.

Honda Civics make good parking spots!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 04-11-2001, 09:23 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Re: Tachometer

The brown wire from the coil. I put one a 89 with a 2.8 and a 92 with a 4.3 and both used the brown wire. Good luck.

post #3 of (permalink) Old 04-12-2001, 10:03 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

I checked out the coil today and all I could find were 2 pink wires and 2 white wires. There were 2 plugs that plug into the coil right beside one another. Each plug had a white and a pink wire going to it. Also the plug closer to the front of the engine has larger wires if this helps.

The brown wire that "Cuttingedge" was talking about, was that off of the coil, or farther along somewhere? Thanks for the help.

The brown wire the

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 04-13-2001, 08:11 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Nevada I cant remember the colors of the other wires off the top of my head. I did go look at mine before I typed the message so I wouldnt tell you wrong. It is a brown wire on mine that I used and I am almost totally sure my brothers was a brown wire too. I do remember on the the plugs has bigger wires but that is the back plug on mine. When I go outside in the morning I will check and tell you what wire is in what place. Maybe that will help you narrow it down.

post #5 of (permalink) Old 04-14-2001, 02:00 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

Cuttingedge, I've been checking out the wire scematics for my truck. They all say that there is a pink and a BROWN wire coming from the coil to the distributer. So I'm thinking that maybe on mine the wire is just faded or something, making it look white. The other two wires from the coil both go to the wire harness for the truck, so I don't think those are them. Anyway, thanks a ton for the info! and let me know about the larger wire being tward the rear of the truck on yours, mines closer to the front of the engine?

post #6 of (permalink) Old 04-14-2001, 09:34 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

The big wires ( red and white ) and a gray plug are on the back of the coil and the small wires ( red and brown ) are on the front of the coil. The large ones go into the vehicles wiring harness and the small ones to the coil on mine. Do you suppose the coil has just gotten turned around sometime ? If it seems to be running ok I would think they are in the right place on yours. My guess is it would be the wire that looks white to you.

post #7 of (permalink) Old 04-14-2001, 09:36 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

The big wires have a gray plug on them and the small ones have a black plug. Sorry for the confusion on that.

post #8 of (permalink) Old 04-14-2001, 10:15 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Go to http://www.s-series.org/phpBB/index.php and its under 2.8 tech, Its right there, all you need to know.

1992 S10 ext cab, 2.8,5 speed,2x4,Nitrous Oxide
post #9 of (permalink) Old 04-15-2001, 10:49 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Got it figured out. The best I can figure is that my coil did get turned around sometime along the way. Anyway i did get the tac hooked up, so thanks a ton for your help.

MIke

post #10 of (permalink) Old 04-16-2001, 09:57 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

No problem. I am glad I could help. Goodness knows I ask my fair share of questions and next time it will probably be me [img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/wink.gif[/img]. I think this bulletin board is a great idea. I love to just sit and read, get new opinions, and learn from other people. I am just glad I can be a small part of this.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode