new to S-15 - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
GM Small Trucks & SUV's All discussion of S-Class Trucks and SUV's

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 04-10-2001, 03:37 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

new to S-15

Hi Guys

I have a '87 S-15 Jimmy 2.8L 4x4 that is for now completely stock except for a K&N filter. I'm curious how well built you guys consider these vehicles to be. I plan to do some off-roading and just want to know how well they hold up stock and what I can get away with. It currently has 104k miles on it.

I'm also planning on doing some stuff to it this summer. Definately new tires, shocks, and stuff to get more power out of that 2.8. Also considering bigger tires(and probably different wheels), slight body lift, better exhaust, etc. Any suggestions you have for a guy on a budget would be great. Thanks!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 04-10-2001, 04:45 PM

Re: new to S-15

These little S series can take more than I thought they would. I have a '89 S10 Blazer and I have done some rough riding in it and it hasn't let me down yet. The biggest drawback to these little trucks is the IFS--And that is only if your into 4wheelin. Another drawback is the vacuum actuated front diff. Sometimes it engages; sometimes it doesn't. But other than that these little trucks are pretty awesome.
I don't know about your 2.8, but there are a lot of other guys on here that know about it.
Good luck and have lots of fun in the new found S15!

<font color=red>"Redneck" on the Internet
<font color=black>1989 S10 Blazer 4x4, 4.3, K&N, Flowmaster, 235/75/15 BFG AT
post #3 of (permalink) Old 04-10-2001, 08:47 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

I had an 84 with the 2.8 in it for 6 years. I loved that truck, that's why I bought another s-10 to replace it. One thing.. has the transmission been rebuilt? I've heard theat they go between 80 and 100 thousand miles. Mine went at 120,000. Not to scare you but just a warning.

I agree with TexasRedneck, that little truck will surprise the hell out of you. I've gone through things in my two S-10s that stuck my cousin's jeep. (Both my trucks were stock except the K&N like yours) I've got big plans for this spring and summer though!

"Ride it like you stole it!"
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 04-10-2001, 09:04 PM

<font face="Comic Sans MS">These vehicles are put together very well and when you do all of the routine maintenance on schedule they'll last just about forever.

The most abuse I've put mine through I'd have to say would be going up a sand dune too fast and not backing off of the throttle when I got to the top, blasted over the top and the front end had to have been about 6 feet or so off the ground... [img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/cool.gif[/img] I wish I could have gotten that on video. But no ill effects as a result of that. When I'm playin' in the dunes with the truck I tend to run in 2wd, and keep the RPM's up around 5,000. That will probably reduce the lifespan of the engine a bit but nothing noticable yet.

About the vacuum 4x engagement system that the others mentioned, I'm currently working on a fix to completely eliminate that in favor of a mechanical linkage. This will be almost similar to the Posilock but much less expensive (I won't be selling them, but I'll provide plans to make my version of the mechanical linkage)...

That's about all I can think of for the moment...</font>

Tim "Sandman"

ORC Land Use columnist:
My February article on ORC
(I'm finally back)
post #5 of (permalink) Old 04-10-2001, 09:27 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

what is the IFS?

post #6 of (permalink) Old 04-10-2001, 09:41 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

IFS=Independant Front Suspension. I have an 89 S-10 and it has been a great truck. No problems whatsoever to mention in 200,000 miles. Yes they are tough and will take some abuse. As for your 2.8 .... Without someone working your engine that knows how to get power out of them, you are going to be on the weak side. I knew a guy that had someone rebuild his and it ran strong. He was running 32X11.50's and he could still run with my brothers 4.3. I know the power can be gotten from them, but I am sure it has a price. As for add ons for power, I am sure they all help a little. I put a K&N and a Flowmaster muffler on mine and could tell a difference in power. Good luck with your truck.

post #7 of (permalink) Old 04-10-2001, 09:53 PM
BigAl

Good choice! I wish the new Jimmys/Blazers [img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/frown.gif[/img] would have kept this bodystyle, it's classic [img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/cool.gif[/img] (In my opinion, they should have kept the old Camaro design also).

Anyway, one of the most important things to do is to check the vacuum lines. [img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/tongue.gif[/img] This could be the problem when you have reached the point of, after trying everything else, "What the hell could it be!" [img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/laugh.gif[/img] In fact, replacing all of the vacuum lines (and the one to the transfer case) is the best, overlooked, preventive maintence.

Besides the K&N filter, I have installed a Holley TBI. [img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/cool.gif[/img] I definitely noticed an increase in acceleration and 5th gear power. You could get a performance chip also, but don't do both, there are conflicts. [img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/crazy.gif[/img]

If you don't want to spend too much money on tires, and with that, body lifts, etc., think about buying 235/75/15 size light truck (LT) tires (they will give you a stiffer sidewall for off-roading). I bought some from Pep Boys...Futura (made by Cooper) Scramblers [img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/cool.gif[/img]...I have had them for nearly a year and they don't look like they have lost any tread yet. [img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/smile.gif[/img] They are a good all-around tire.

Good luck!

Al [img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/smile.gif[/img]

'87 Jimmy 4X4 2.8L [img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/crazy.gif[/img]
post #8 of (permalink) Old 04-11-2001, 12:21 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

Well mine is a 85 S10 and i got 580,000miles out of my first engine (2.8) and and now the truck is pushing 600k now that it has a new engine another 2.8 but built. I have port polished heads, proformer Camshaft, aluminum 4 barrel intake, Holly 600cfm Carb, and an MSD igintion.. you can get the power out of them you just have to want to put the time into it. check it out here:

85 chevy s10 4x4 2.8l v6 4bl
538,862 miles and counting
http://www.geocities.com/greer5199/puddleskipper.html
post #9 of (permalink) Old 04-11-2001, 09:23 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

Thanks guys! I will definately check those vacuum lines, especially the one going to the differential. I didn't even think to check that. It's good to hear that these trucks are ok, gives me more confidence to get lost out in the NW woods. I'm sure you guys will be getting more questions from me as I start to do the things I've talked about.

post #10 of (permalink) Old 04-11-2001, 05:01 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

About the life span of the 700R4. The pre '86 ones were prone to sh!t the bed at an eary age. The later ones are fairly reliable though, they aren't the best tranny in the world, but IMO they don't deserve the bad reputation. Mine currently has 140K hard miles on it. The lock-up TC is giving me trouble, but I attribute that to the previous owners lack of maintance.
When deciding what size tires, check the gear ratio first. My truck was Gutless with 235's and graduated to the Gutless Wonder after the 31's, even with 4.1's.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode