BANG IN THE FRONT END - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
GM Small Trucks & SUV's All discussion of S-Class Trucks and SUV's

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 04-09-2001, 04:58 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

BANG IN THE FRONT END

My friend has a 1992 s-15 jimmy, 4 wheel drive v-6. he had a bang in the front end when he hit bumps and it sounded like a bad shock so we changed both shocks in the front end and it is still doing it, u can feel it in the floor boards??? I was wondering if any one else has had this problem???
I was crawling around under it this weekend and found that the big bars that go from the front lawer a-arm to about half way back to a cross member, the cross member is loose on the drivers side. would this cause it???

MUDD_RAT: 1978 Chevy K-10 with dana 44 front, 12 bolt rear 350/350/203 running 15/39/15 Mickey Thompson Baja Belted
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 04-09-2001, 05:42 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Re: BANG IN THE FRONT END

<font color=blue>The banging noise you feel through the floor boards is the Torsion bar cross member mounts. Fairly common to the S10's Check out this webpage on S10-4x4.com It'll tell you just what to do...</font color=blue>
http://S10-4X4.COM/TBarCrossmember/

<font color=blue>Matt</font color=blue>

Earnhardt fan 4ever
http://home.off-road.com/~matt/
post #3 of (permalink) Old 04-09-2001, 07:19 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

1 thing you also might wanna check it the mounts for the front diff..mine went ka-putt and it make an terrible thunk in the front and also the bearings and seals where the axles go into themgrab the axle and see if you have a lot of play in them..it's an ez thing to over look.
Just grab them babys and shake the hell out of them ,you should,nt have any play, up or down or to the side.. they do wear out.
Mine went out and it took all of 4 blocks to make a horrifing sound and felt like the front was coming apart.

http://members.theglobe.com/moneystight/24_21A.JPG http://members.theglobe.com/moneystight/22_19A.JPG
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 04-10-2001, 11:13 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

Are you talking about the half shafts. I can grab my axle halfshaft and get about a 1/4 inch of play in it. It is driving terribly in 4wd.

post #5 of (permalink) Old 04-10-2001, 11:49 AM

i had that problem, the bang in the floor boards, but it ended up being a rusted out body mount... just another idea

Craig

'89 S-10 P/U 4.3L 31" Yoko M/Ts (For Sale!)[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/shocked.gif[/img]
'99 S-10 2.2L 2WD 5 Speed Totally Stock [img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/frown.gif[/img]

'88 Kawasaki Mojave (FOR SALE)[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/cool.gif[/img]
post #6 of (permalink) Old 04-10-2001, 09:27 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

If the crossmember is loose you have a torsion mount problem. Either it is busted or possibly the bolts could be loose. As mentioned earlier it is a common thing for the mounts to break.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode