cooling - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
GM Small Trucks & SUV's All discussion of S-Class Trucks and SUV's

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 04-06-2001, 01:01 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

cooling

Well, I went back today and drove the truck one more time for about a half an hour on the interstate and in town. (If you don't know what I'm talking about, read my last post) I also crawled all underneith the truck and checked all the drive seals and everything else you all suggested. After another inspection, everything checked out, so I am the proud new owner of a 91 chevy s-10 4x4 blazer. So Thanks for all your comments and suggestions.

I drove the truck around town today and noticed the major problem that needs adressed right now is that the engine is running extreemly hot. (210 deg. in town and about 220 on the interstate). I'm preaty sure that the major problem with this is the thermostat, it never seems to open up. Also I don't think the fan clutch is engaging. The book says that after the engine has warmed up that the fan should be harder to turn, it's not. It's exactly the same as when the engine is cool. My father also used to own a 89 with the same engine, you could tell when the fan was engaged, it sounded like a blower under the hood. Does any of this sound right to anyone? I went ahead and bought a clutch this afternoon. I figured that since I was already going to have the front tore down to replace the thermostat, I would just replace the clutch too, for piece of mind. Also the antifreeze is new and checks out ok for temps. IS their anything else I am looking over as far as the cooling goes that would cause exessive heat, or does the 4.3 naturaly run hot? I do live in the desert and want to get these problems addressed before summer and its 120 degs. outside. Thanks for the help

Mike
Honda Civics make good parking spots!

91 Chevy 4d 4x4 s-10 blazer 4.3L

Honda Civics make good parking spots!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 04-06-2001, 08:01 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

Re: cooling

Sorry I don't have a lot of info but to my knowledge, the 4.3 does NOT run hot. On the contrary, my 94, my mother's 92, and my buddy's 99 all run very cool with factory thermostats. I realize the dash guage is not the most accurate recording instrument in the world but all three trucks run the same place on the guage. I'll look at my dad's 95 too. (yes there are that many s-10's in my family, to complete the fleet are my step-mom's 2001 grand am and my step-dad's 2001 Z71 ext cab. Yea, we are all a little biased tward GM).

"Ride it like you stole it!"
post #3 of (permalink) Old 04-06-2001, 09:38 AM

Another GM Family.[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/smile.gif[/img]

We've got:
-My S10
-Sister's '84 Pontiac Phoenix(Customized, not riced)
-Grandparents' '92 Olds Ciera
-Parents' '94 Olds Ciera
-Cousin's Chev 1/2 Ton 4x2
-Uncle's Chev 1 Ton Crew Cab 4x4

--Drew
83 S10 4x2
I AM <font color=red>CA</font color=red><font color=white>NADI</font color=white><font color=red>AN</font color=red>!
[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/smile.gif[/img]
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 04-06-2001, 10:41 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

As the weather gets nicer out we should all do one thinf FLUSH FLUSH FLUSH the radaitor that is, its very important tha you do this every year so you don't plug up your radiator or heater core!!! it also keeps the radiarir working properley being a heat exchanger and all...

Tim

88 blazer
Like A Rock
post #5 of (permalink) Old 04-06-2001, 11:43 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

You wanna talk chevy family huh?
Me- 2000 Blazer
Mom- 99 Jimmy
Dad- 2001 Grand Prix, 2 2002 Buick Rendevous (he works for GM)
Uncle- Tahoe
Aunt- Malibu
Grandfather- Blazer
Grandmother- Chevrolet Corsica
Other Uncle- Blazer
Etc. Etc.

Ryan

"There's no pressure on me when I'm in a race car. Hell, that's when I'm relaxed; that's the best time in my life" 9/7/1987
post #6 of (permalink) Old 04-06-2001, 12:01 PM

<font face="Comic Sans MS">Either flush the radiator, or take it to a radiator shop and see what they can do with it. It might need rodding out. Not sure on a 91 though. Another thing when you get the thermostat, drill a smallish hole in the bezel area of it which will let any trapped air bubbles out. Robert Shaw is a very good brand of thermostat. [img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/cool.gif[/img] I believe that's the name of the brand... I believe Autozone carries these. That should help fix things... Oops, one other thing, get yourself a brand new radiator cap. They do wear out, so it's a good choice to replace it now...</font>

Tim "Sandman"

ORC Land Use columnist:
My February article on ORC
(I'm finally back)
post #7 of (permalink) Old 04-06-2001, 12:02 PM

I bow before you. oh Master of the Bowtie.[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/wink.gif[/img]

--Drew
83 S10 4x2
I AM <font color=red>CA</font color=red><font color=white>NADI</font color=white><font color=red>AN</font color=red>!
[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/smile.gif[/img]
post #8 of (permalink) Old 05-26-2001, 02:56 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

i know that a 350 runs about 210 normal and around 220 with a little abuse. i think that 210 is a bow ties normal body temp. if you are still not sure call a dealer and ask the service guy what normal temp is.

post #9 of (permalink) Old 05-26-2001, 10:47 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

If I remember correctly stock t-stat for a 4.3 is 210. ALL 4.3 powered S10s have an aluminum/plastic radiator($190-$400 to replace)that can be repaired sometimes. The fan clutches are notorious for not working properly. Yes, definetly flush the cooling system and refill it with Havoline Extended-Life anti-freeze (GM used it in 94UP vehicles). Should be fine then. Maybe go with a 180 or 190 thermostat to err on the safe side.
Oh, as far as GM familys go:
Me: 89 S15 4x4, 85 S10 4x4 "hybrid"
Dad: 89 S10 Blazer 4x4
Mom: 88 Olds Ciera Int'l
Grandma: 96 Olds Ciera SL
Aunt: 96 Olds 98
Uncle: 95 Impala SS
Uncle: 96 Caprice 9C1
Sister: 94 Cavalier Z24

1989 GMC S-15 4x4 4.3L/700R-4, 3.08s, 31" Sport Kings For Sale
1985 S-10 4x4 Soon to have 3504BM/TH350/D44/14FF, 35" Boggers
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode