Finaly getting a 4x - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
GM Small Trucks & SUV's All discussion of S-Class Trucks and SUV's

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 04-05-2001, 12:12 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

Finaly getting a 4x

First of all, let me thank everyone out there that uses this board. It has been a great encouragement and help to me since I found the sight a couple of weeks ago. I have been driving an 83 s-15 2wd pickup around for about 2 years, (My dad paid 600.00 for the truck and we pushed it in the drive way). It made a great first truck! But, I finally scraped enough money together- through my lawn mower repair job ( If you got in questions about lawn mowers, let me know and maybe I can help)- to finaly get something a little bit more than a 1.9L pickup. So here is what I'm looking at, a 91, s-10 Blazer 4x4, four door, with a 4.3L engine and automatic transmission. My question is, is their anything particular about the blazers that I should look for. I have checked out all of the abvious mechanical stuff. The engine dosen't smoke, it shifts into four wheel drive smoothly, the transmission shifts smoothly, half shafts look and feel tight, etc. The blazer has (get ready for this) 225,000 miles! It drives almost new, if you didn't see the odometer you wouldn't belive it. The guy is giving me a preaty good deal on it, so I figure even if the engine goes out, I can put a new long block in it and still be under what the truck is worth. Anyway, any help you guys could give would my much appriciated. Thanks again for using this board. And I look forward to getting my 4X s-10 and showing my friends Toyota up!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 04-05-2001, 07:50 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

Re: Finaly getting a 4x

Check the remote oil filter lines, I think they are made to leak

"Ride it like you stole it!"
post #3 of (permalink) Old 04-05-2001, 12:10 PM

I have an 89 p/u with 218 thousand, but the engine was replaced about 90,000 miles ago. i've had just a few problems with mine, mostly the engine, but basically the drive train is good, except a transmission leak... i've replaced about all the seals on the truck... that would be the things i would cheak out. look at the seals behind the T-case and on the rear axle. check the front and rear of the engine - the main seals, and check the cv boots. also, i found out on mine after i bought it, that there were some body mount bolts missing, and one was rusted thru. also, there was some paper towels stuck in the upright to support the bondo that collected water and rusted a hole thru. but again, this is just in my truck and probably not to common. When J.R. gets our web page up, i sent him an article about the fix i did on my truck... if you live in the rust belt, take a magnet along the rocker panels and above the wheel wells checking for bondo...
thats about it
craig

Craig

'89 S-10 P/U 4.3L 31" Yoko M/Ts (For Sale!)[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/shocked.gif[/img]
'99 S-10 2.2L 2WD 5 Speed Totally Stock [img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/frown.gif[/img]

'88 Kawasaki Mojave (FOR SALE)[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/cool.gif[/img]
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 04-05-2001, 07:02 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Welcome to the board to start things off..
I have a 1992 GMC Jimmy, I brought it when the previous owner decided tgat changing the oil was not required anymore and the engine locked up there after. I got it for a steal at 300.00 dollars, ( yes 300.00 ) the body is in great shape etc. I got another block had it bored 030 over had the heads, manifold gone over bigger pistons. Flexalite fan,msd box, new tires,exhaust ( I'm getting JBA headers ) the front bushing need attention now after sitting so long, I've put alot of work into Jimmy to please my self ,but the moral is I still have way less then it currently blue books I jsut turned 15,000 miles on t he rebuild and have not had a problem, My friend has a Jimmy also with get ready for this 245,000 miles not a major problem yet I think GM did a good job with the S series vehicles so if you can get a good deal on one then put a little inot it go for it!!! Yuo woun't be wrong... Now they do have limitations all do you will just need to learn them and stick to it . Keep us posted.

If it has tits or tires it will give you trouble.
post #5 of (permalink) Old 04-06-2001, 12:20 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

one other thing to check, has the engine peen powerwashed?? if it has beware, if the guy will let you, try a quick brake torque in 2x mode, if the back tires spin then try it in 4x mode, it shouldn't do anything but strain agenst the brakes, i know this is hard in the trans engine ect, but it tells youy the conditin of thr brakes, if your front diff is accually engagiong(mine diddn't- BIG PROB) and if he won't see of you can put it up on blocks, just make sure the 4x mode works,this is the biggest prob on these trucks. other than that, it sounds like a deal!

god luck
Tim

88 blazer
Like A Rock
post #6 of (permalink) Old 04-11-2001, 09:39 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

The 4WD is EASY to fix, $100 for Posi-Lock System. The best money I've put in mine! My 4.3 currently has 173,000 on the clock, and will still run with the best of them! The auto trans was rebuilt and a few seals and small stuff like alternators, water pump, etc. The 4 door Blazers are awesome! Lots of room inside, Easy to get into the back seat etc. Good luck with it, sounds like a great deal!
A.Smith

1989 GMC S-15 4x4 4.3L/700R-4, 3.08s, 31" Sport Kings For Sale
1985 S-10 4x4 Soon to have 3504BM/TH350/D44/14FF, 35" Boggers
post #7 of (permalink) Old 04-11-2001, 10:00 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

S-10's are notoriously hard on lower ball joints, idler arms, and torsion bar mounts. If they arent bad on yours now get ready because in the future they will be [img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/frown.gif[/img]. Seems the other guys have mentioned everything else I can think of. Good luck.

post #8 of (permalink) Old 04-12-2001, 09:57 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Don't forget to buy MOOG brand chassis parts that have a lifetime warranty, and are the toughest out there! Good luck with the Blazer!
A.Smith

1989 GMC S-15 4x4 4.3L/700R-4, 3.08s, 31" Sport Kings For Sale
1985 S-10 4x4 Soon to have 3504BM/TH350/D44/14FF, 35" Boggers
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode