Backpressure sensor? - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
GM Small Trucks & SUV's All discussion of S-Class Trucks and SUV's

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 04-05-2001, 12:11 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

Backpressure sensor?

Anybody know if the 97 4wd blazers have a backpressure sensor?

I'm still trying to resolve an ongoing problem concerning my exhaust system and the decrease in gas mileage and performance after I had a Flowmaster muffler installed on my Blazer. It seems to me that something is telling the computer to dump more fuel into the mixture, which is giving me horrible MPG and bad performance...

Any help at all would be greatly appreciated.

-Pete

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 04-05-2001, 12:26 AM

Re: Backpressure sensor?

<font face="Comic Sans MS">Does it still run right? Are you sure it's not just a heavier foot on the go pedal because it sounds nicer? [img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/laugh.gif[/img] Sounds crazy but a friend lost a few MPG in a fullsize just because the exhaust sounds a lot better and he has trouble keeping his foot out of the throttle away from stopsigns and stuff... [img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/laugh.gif[/img]</font>

Tim "Sandman"

ORC Land Use columnist:
My February article on ORC
(I'm finally back)
post #3 of (permalink) Old 04-05-2001, 08:16 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

-Tim
It does run right. But I have lost not only mileage but also performance. You can feel it struggling to burn the mixture. I admit, the first week after the Flowmaster was installed I was goosing it a lot and it sounded great. However, after seeing my gas mileage I went back to normal driving.

-Pete

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 04-05-2001, 11:59 AM

did you check your O2 sensor? that would be all i can think of...

Craig

'89 S-10 P/U 4.3L 31" Yoko M/Ts (For Sale!)[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/shocked.gif[/img]
'99 S-10 2.2L 2WD 5 Speed Totally Stock [img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/frown.gif[/img]

'88 Kawasaki Mojave (FOR SALE)[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/cool.gif[/img]
post #5 of (permalink) Old 04-05-2001, 03:05 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

-Craig

I checked all four of my O2 sensors with my scanner and one of them was a bit sluggish on the readings, so I went ahead and replaced it. Now all four function properly, but I still see no difference. That's why I'm wondering if it might have a backpressure sensor. If it does, it could be telling the computer that there is little backpressure and the computer may be reacting by sending more fuel to the mixture.

Thanks for the help.
-Pete

post #6 of (permalink) Old 04-05-2001, 07:04 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

I looked through my books No pack pressure sensor I could find... Sorry you may try calling a GM shop and just talk to them maybe they can give you some more ideas

If it has tits or tires it will give you trouble.
post #7 of (permalink) Old 04-05-2001, 08:48 PM

I was also thinking of adding a muffler system to my truck, but if your having that much trouble with it, i might not. I'll look around for some stuff also. Do you have an Airaid kit or something that caliber for intake?

post #8 of (permalink) Old 04-06-2001, 12:12 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

did you check that the post o2 sensor is installed right??? it probley won't set off the check engine light, and it wouls send the computer into a loop... just a shot

Tim

88 blazer
Like A Rock
post #9 of (permalink) Old 04-06-2001, 12:41 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

I may just have to do that...maybe a GM tech might know what's going on. Thanks for the help.
-Pete

post #10 of (permalink) Old 04-06-2001, 12:48 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

I installed a K&N Air Filter and saw absolutely no difference. I was going to install a complete K&N kit, but figured I'd hold off until I can find out what's happening here.

I always thought installing or improving air INTAKE and EXHAUST flow could do nothing but help with engine performance. I still think this is true, but the computer and or sensors seem to not be accepting it. I'll let you know if I find out anything and would appreciate it if you could do the same. Thanks

-Pete

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode