2wd to 4wd conversion - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
GM Small Trucks & SUV's All discussion of S-Class Trucks and SUV's

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 04-03-2001, 10:07 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

2wd to 4wd conversion

Has anyone ever done a 2wd to 4wd conversion? i know a lot of people talk about it but i was wondering if it had ever been done? if so is there a write up anywhere online about one?

Jonathan Rogers
[email protected]
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 04-03-2001, 11:21 PM

Re: 2wd to 4wd conversion

"It's been done" but don't know of anyone who's done it.

I may be wrong, but a lot of guys here should agree with me that it is much less expensive to just get a new truck with 4x4. Just getting the front end properly lined up and a lot of welding is just a lot of work.

Unless you're talking about solid front axle (SFA). SFA might save you some hassle, but you're still going to need a new tranny and transfer case, front end, driveshafts, lots of beer and plenty of bandaids for your knuckles.

J.R. [img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/cool.gif[/img]

http://members.nbci.com/desertride/index.htm
post #3 of (permalink) Old 04-04-2001, 12:31 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

The better idea in my mind would be to find another donor truck,blazer what ever yu might have, that is 4x4 and do a body switch. The complications yu would encounter trying to take a 4x2 - a 4x4 would be unthinkable in my eyes. The welding bill alone would scare me not to mention the fear of never getting it straight and alignment good. There is plenty of wrecked,broken trucks out there for cheap just look around.....

If it has tits or tires it will give you trouble.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 04-04-2001, 04:09 PM

<font face="Comic Sans MS">I say it depends on how big or extreme you're going to get with it. If you're going for a solid front axle and beefier rear axle, bigger engine, beefier transmission, etc, I would say it's cheaper to stick with what you have and build it from there. Anybody remember that rig TEX shows us once in a while (the one with the 488" roller rat)? Starting off with a stock 4x wouldn't have helped that all that much except from the standpoint of maybe selling off the stock components to regain a bit of cost. However the higher costs of a 4x to purchase can offset any gains there at all...

It'll be a lot of engineering, calculations, checking the geometry of the components, welding/fabricating, but if you fit the description above you might be further ahead to just do that to what you currently have... [img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/crazy.gif[/img] Just a thought... </font>

Tim "Sandman"

ORC Land Use columnist:
My February article on ORC
(I'm finally back)
post #5 of (permalink) Old 04-11-2001, 09:25 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

The 4x4 cabs and bodies have a clearanced floorboard for the transfer case, so a body swap won't work either. Just buy a 4WD with a blown engine or trans for a couple hundred $, then you can build the heck out of it! Or if you know your gonna do a SFA conversion, buy a 4cyl/5spd 2WD for cheap to use as a basis(Frame, body, etc). Whatever you decide, a 2WD to 4WD swap on an S-series is nothing less than a full-on Custom fabrication job to be done by skilled welders and fabricators.
A.Smith

1989 GMC S-15 4x4 4.3L/700R-4, 3.08s, 31" Sport Kings For Sale
1985 S-10 4x4 Soon to have 3504BM/TH350/D44/14FF, 35" Boggers
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode