2.8 rpms - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
GM Small Trucks & SUV's All discussion of S-Class Trucks and SUV's

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 04-03-2001, 02:28 AM
jeeper131

2.8 rpms

Hey all, I've been trying to get my 2.8 to run decnet, but have been having some problems. Its a 93 2wd S10 with the TBI 2.8. I usually shift around 3000 rpms, is this too low? It really seems to hit a power wall at that point though, the engine even sounds different, almost like its leaning itself out. What RPM do you guys run your engines at?

MudFlap
93 S-10 in the works
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 04-03-2001, 02:38 AM

Re: 2.8 rpms

<font face="Comic Sans MS">My carbuerated 2.8L doesn't even start coming into it's powerband until it hits 3000rpm's and pulls really well from about 2500-5800 or there abouts...

Check fuel flow volume, pressure, change fuel filter, possibly try some fuel injector cleaner. Is it throwing any trouble codes?</font>

Tim "Sandman"

ORC Land Use columnist:
My February article on ORC
(I'm finally back)
post #3 of (permalink) Old 04-03-2001, 02:44 AM
jeeper131

so would being TBI make a difference? what is your redline at?

MudFlap
93 S-10 in the works
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 04-03-2001, 02:55 AM

<font face="Comic Sans MS">The TBI version should be about the same. 5800-6000 seems to be the redline. I would check those things I mentioned, hopefully you'll find the difficulty being the fuel filter. A friend with a 350 powered fuel injected fullsize had the same problem you're mentioning and it turned out to be the fuel filter restricting flow enough that it would only go up to about 2500-3000rpms before it leaned way out... </font>

Tim "Sandman"

ORC Land Use columnist:
(I'm finally back)
post #5 of (permalink) Old 04-03-2001, 05:44 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

My 4.3 was doing that and a bottel a tecron and it was good as new weel along with the tune up I did first and no success.

1995 Truck,4X4,4.3/V6/TBI,31's,A.R. Rims,3" Body lift,Side Bars,Flares,K&N,TB/Shackel lift,Alarm.

post #6 of (permalink) Old 04-04-2001, 09:21 PM

How does the engine idle? If it is a little bouncy at idle check the vacuum lines real close. 2.8s need good, tight vac lines to run smoothly and they lose power when there is a leak. Good luck!![img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/smile.gif[/img]

I guess my carbed 2.8 Cherokee runs best in the RPM range that Tim described. I don't have a tach and the transmission is a 3 speed auto (Torqueflite 904).

post #7 of (permalink) Old 04-06-2001, 12:23 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

i have a 88 4x blazer that idles about 1200RPM warmed up... How do i set this lower, i have acces to a scan tool that can set ti lower but where do your guys'es idle??

Tim

88 blazer
Like A Rock
post #8 of (permalink) Old 04-06-2001, 11:55 AM

<font face="Comic Sans MS">I let mine idle around 1000rpm... The label under the hood of mine says 750-800 I think. I'd rather have it a bit higher so i can have a lot of power accessories on (radio, headlights, blower motor, etc...) when at a stoplight without anything dimming down... [img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/crazy.gif[/img]

I'm not sure how to adjust it down on a fuel injected engine. You might try checking a service manual and see where it talks about the idle air control device. this is a little electronically controlled thing that holds the throttle plates open a bit for more efficient idle.. Due to emissions requirements and (how inefficient an engine runs at idle or in other words) fuel efficiency, it's probably supposed to run about there on yours... [img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/crazy.gif[/img]</font>

Tim "Sandman"

ORC Land Use columnist:
(I'm finally back)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode