Shifting Problems - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
GM Small Trucks & SUV's All discussion of S-Class Trucks and SUV's

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 04-02-2001, 06:31 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Shifting Problems

I've got a 94 S-10ext. cab w/push button shift on the fly 4x4. When I'm driving down the road the 4hi light will come on w/out any reason. When I push the 2hi button for it to go off smoetimes it'll shift into 4lo which is not good. What can I do is the switch or the control module or the eletric shift motor? Help this is not good for the T-case.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 04-02-2001, 06:53 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Re: Shifting Problems

Hey I really don't have much expierence with the shift on the fly, however I would first check all the connections at the T-case and then behind the shifter button thingy, the shift motor might not be a bad start either, when it shift to 4low does it actually engage at highway speeds? just wondering. good luck.

If it has tits or tires it will give you trouble.
post #3 of (permalink) Old 04-02-2001, 07:10 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Yup 50mph & going into 4lo something got tore up BAD!
Worst sound I think I've ever heard from it.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 04-02-2001, 07:53 PM

<font face="Comic Sans MS">4 lo @ 50mph, didn't that send your RPM's right up to the redline (or past it) also? [img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/crazy.gif[/img] I'm not sure how to fix it but my guess is that you'll need a new (or at least rebuilt) t-case after that incident. Did you pull the drain plug on the t-case to determine how many links of chain or scraps of metal decide to pour out? Is it still drivable currently? Sounds like something is messed up inside the switch itself if it's sending power to engage low range (although I'll admit I don't know much about electronic shifted cases...). [img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/crazy.gif[/img] So about the only useful thing I can say is "ouch"... </font>

Tim "Sandman"

ORC Land Use columnist:
My February article on ORC
(I'm finally back)
post #5 of (permalink) Old 04-03-2001, 05:18 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Yes to my suprise too it is still driveable & 4wheel drive
still works!(Give or take a few teeth)

post #6 of (permalink) Old 04-03-2001, 11:18 PM

That doesn't make any sense! It was probably cool when it happened, but it sucks after, that's fer sure!

First off, your push button isn't supposed to let you shift into 4x4 LO without the clutch (or neutral on autos, I'm pretty sure), and over 2 mph. That's telling me that there is a short in your clutch switch or whatever the hell the module is that controls it.

Everything on a pushbutton system should point to the module, or the wires connected to it.

I had a F8rD once that had the first of its generation in push button 4x4. Sometimes it wouldn't work unless I opened the DOOR on the driver's side to hit the switch. Sometimes the switch on the clutch went bad. Then it finally gave up the ghost and literally burned up while I was driving. Had to swap in a manual shift Tx-Case after that... Good thing it rolled and I had to get rid of it!

Anyway, to reiterate, check the module!

J.R. [img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/cool.gif[/img]

http://members.nbci.com/desertride/index.htm
post #7 of (permalink) Old 04-06-2001, 12:32 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

a lot of thngs had to go wrong all at the same time for that to happen, nutral switch- does your truck start iun gear?, can you put it in 4 lo yourself over 5 mph(do go anyfaster it might fall off) if these happen have the module checked... if its good your trucks brainbox is dead or dying... the strppermotor in the t-case wouldn't judt start working for the hell of it.. although you might want to check the overall tightness of things down there...

Tim

88 blazer
Like A Rock
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode