Will not start - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
GM Small Trucks & SUV's All discussion of S-Class Trucks and SUV's

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 04-01-2001, 04:59 PM
BigAl

Will not start

I started my truck and noticed immediately that it was running rough...no power, sounded like it wasn't hitting on all 6 cylinders, I was able to drive it though and it seemed to top out @ 2000rpms. The next day, same thing...then it wouldn't start at all. Apparently the fuel pressure is good, I am getting a spark, yet it will not start. I even tried to use ether and it wouldn't start. I heard that maybe the timing chain jumped or maybe it is a sensor. Anyone have an answer? Thanks in advance....

Al [img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/smile.gif[/img]

'87 Jimmy 4X4 2.8L [img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/crazy.gif[/img]
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 04-01-2001, 05:18 PM

Re: Will not start

<font face="Comic Sans MS">Change the fuel filter, pull a fuel line off and see what sort of volume the pump is putting out (it might be able to build up decent pressure but not have enough volume to operate).

Mark the distributor cap base where the #1 plug wire terminal is, pull the distributor cap. Now turn the engine over until you get top dead center on #1 cylinder (you can pull the spark plug on that cylinder and hold your finger over it and when you feel pressure build up you know you've got compression stroke, then rotate the engine a bit more until the timing mark aligns with where your timing is set at. Does the rotor now point at the mark indicating where #1 terminal is? If it does, then the timing chain is likely still good...

Try the cheap stuff first... </font>

Tim "Sandman"

ORC Land Use columnist:
My February article on ORC
(I'm finally back)
post #3 of (permalink) Old 04-01-2001, 07:08 PM

Do you have a amp/aftermarket stereo? Check your connections to your battery. I had a week connection and it would run just very poor. Just a thought.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 04-02-2001, 08:39 AM

If it will crank and not turn over completely then I would check the coil. Had that happen to me recently on my '98 and thought it was the fuel pump... Turned out only to be the coil. Fixed it right up!

J.R. [img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/cool.gif[/img]

http://members.nbci.com/desertride/index.htm
post #5 of (permalink) Old 04-04-2001, 07:58 AM
BigAl

Turned out to be several vacuum leaks to the MAP sensor and other areas. Time to change all questionable vacuum lines!

Al [img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/smile.gif[/img]

'87 Jimmy 4X4 2.8L [img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/crazy.gif[/img]
post #6 of (permalink) Old 04-04-2001, 09:17 PM

Yes, vacuum lines are critical for a 2.8 to run at its peak performance (such as it is). I'm constantly checking my lines on my 2.8 engined (Rochester 2SE carbureted) 1986 Jeep Cherokee.[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/smile.gif[/img]

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode