TB&AAL- Shocks? - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
GM Small Trucks & SUV's All discussion of S-Class Trucks and SUV's

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 03-29-2001, 12:55 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

TB&AAL- Shocks?

I am going to crank my torsion bars and get add-a-leafs for the rear of my 1997 Jimmy. I hope to raise it 2". Will I need new shocks with this new setup, or will my old factory shocks still work? Thanks everyone.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 03-29-2001, 01:50 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Re: TB&AAL- Shocks?

Front will be fine but the rear might need replacing.. Disconnect the shocks and flex it up to the max and mesure from mounting point to point both sides.. Take those and mesure from eye to eye on the shock closed and open and your set.. Try to get as close as you can..

-Troy '<font color=red>WeaZle</font color=red>' McCarty

post #3 of (permalink) Old 03-30-2001, 08:02 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

i have done this setup. but i used the shackles. I found out that the stock shocks were stopping travel in the rear end. So i did what weazle said to do with the shocks. It alowed the rearend to travel about 14 inches from bump stop to max on springs. I went with bilstien long travel racing shocks, but they must have custom upper and lower mounts made so it might not be a good idea for a jimmy since i had to cut into the bed. Hope that helps some.

MudderS10s
91 S-10 4.3L, 5 speed, 3 inch bodylift, 32" super swapper TSLs, 2 inch rear shackle lift
73 CJ-5 mods- way too many to list
91 Yamaha Banshee
00 Kawasaki ZX-12
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 03-31-2001, 03:42 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

I have the shackels and got 2" from them. I was going to get the Bilsteins for a ZR2. Anyone done this or see a problem with that?

1995 Truck,4X4,4.3/V6/TBI,31's,A.R. Rims,3" Body lift,Side Bars,Flares,K&N,TB/Shackel lift,Alarm.

post #5 of (permalink) Old 03-31-2001, 06:28 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

Rsharpe, how do you like the shackel lift in the rear did it change your ride any? I'm leaning more towards it now, I'm going to order rancho 5000 for all the way around. I'm wanting 2in atleast in the rear, but I'm going to do the TB crank also and mine already sits ass down atleast an inch. so maybe will only use the shackels to level it off until I can afford a new 5-6 in lift in a year or so. Your truck is nice man I hope I can get my Jimmy to sit close to that height I'd be real happy.

If it has tits or tires it will give you trouble.
post #6 of (permalink) Old 03-31-2001, 06:51 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

Noticed no difference in the ride. Thanks for your comments on my truck.

1995 Truck,4X4,4.3/V6/TBI,31's,A.R. Rims,3" Body lift,Side Bars,Flares,K&N,TB/Shackel lift,Alarm.

post #7 of (permalink) Old 04-02-2001, 11:00 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

Rescumann!! Don't buy the RS5000's.. You will regret it and your kidneys will hate you for it.. Either spend the few duckets more and go for the 9000's or get a real shock and get the Bilstein 5100 series.. Far superior shock.. It is the most important part of your suspension.. Don't skimp..

post #8 of (permalink) Old 04-03-2001, 12:13 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

I am with rsharpe, does anyone know if you can bolt on ZR2 Bilstein shocks to a S-10 with a 2 inch TB/shackles or AAL? I hope so, but just wondering if anyone has an opinion. The longer Bilsteins would work good for me I think with the AAL. Anyone know the part # for the factory Bilsteins? I appreciate the help, guys. Thanks.

post #9 of (permalink) Old 04-03-2001, 12:57 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Ah.. Thats another thing I heard is the FACTORY Bilsteins are of the regular HD series and not the 5100 series you want.. And you pay a FACTORY price.. Cheaper to go through an offroad shop or the internet.. Can't help on the ZR2 shock length thing but it sounds like something to persue..

post #10 of (permalink) Old 04-04-2001, 01:50 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

The front s10 4x4 heavy duty shock part number is b46-1410 and the rear ZR2 heavy duty shock number is b46-1819. You can get them all over. Auto Zone has them if you have one in your area. They run 49$ a pop so all for around 200. Weazel do you have any info on the 5100's I only found stuff on the 6100's, 7100's and 9100's. Also how much travel does are trucks have front and rear and what is the stock shock length fron and rear.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode