spare tire - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
GM Small Trucks & SUV's All discussion of S-Class Trucks and SUV's

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 03-27-2001, 04:32 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

spare tire

Hey everyone - I am putting 31X10.5X15 tires on my 1997 Jimmy and currently have the spare tire up underneath on the cable setup. My question is do I have to get a full-size spare tire or will the "doughnut" work? I think that I need a full size spare, but I am just being cautious. Will the 31" spare fit up underneath on the cable, or do I need to mount it on the outside of the vehicle? I could get a rear rack like a ZR-2, or I could mount it on my Thule roof rack, but I would like it underneath for convenience purposes. Thanks for the help, Scott

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 03-27-2001, 07:30 PM

Re: spare tire

Personally I wouldn't trust a doughnut at 55 mph with 31's on there. Too much of a size difference. Just see if you can find a larger doughnut if it will fit underneight there. Otherwise you don't need to get a good spare just an older 29-31 incher that holds air.

post #3 of (permalink) Old 03-27-2001, 09:37 PM

<font face="Comic Sans MS">If you have a limited slip differential make sure you don't even consider running mismatched tires on that axle... [img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/crazy.gif[/img] It'd cause a lot of wear to it... [img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/crazy.gif[/img] I think you should try to find a 31" tall tire (perhaps even just buy one more of those tires you're getting and use that as a spare if there's room...)... </font>

Tim "Sandman"

ORC Land Use columnist:
My February article on ORC
(I'm finally back)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 03-28-2001, 09:40 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Would it be safe to put the doughnut on the front? I know that it would not be smart on the back, but would it be ok on the front? Thanks for the help!

post #5 of (permalink) Old 03-29-2001, 10:43 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

Under the vehicle is my faveorite place to keep a spare tire..[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/wink.gif[/img] Just think when your in a high angle rutted road and boom!! a tire blows.. You get out and look at the rear of your vehicle and the rear end is basicaly under ground bottomed out.. I dont even thingk I got enought room to fit the jack under there.. Hmmm what do I do now.. I love it too when your in a water crossing and get stuck and need an anchor to tie your Pull-Pal onto.. Thankfully I have that spare radiator hose I can use as a snorkle.. Then going with the size part of you question, if you blow one on a run and only have a doughnut to replace with, your froading day is over.. Turn around and go home.. But to end all this it is fun getting a ~90 lbs 33" spare off your roof thats 6 1/2 feet up..[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/laugh.gif[/img]

-Troy '<font color=red>WeaZle</font color=red>' McCarty

post #6 of (permalink) Old 03-29-2001, 11:05 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

Thanks for the help. Would it be ok to run the doughnut on the front for on-road use, or would that cause wear to drivetrain components? Thanks again.

post #7 of (permalink) Old 03-29-2001, 05:24 PM

I noticed a lot of times in my trips to the junk yard that there are many lifted (lifted in many weird ways, i seen a block of wood for a body lift) s10s that have 31s on the stock rims. i haven't gotten around to asking how much they want for one, tho i do need one. but what im saying is go to the junk yard and see if they got a used 31" tire on an s10 rim, or even just a used 31 and have it mounted...
just my $.02.... don't know about drivetrain ware with a donut

Craig

'89 S-10 P/U 4.3L 31" Yoko M/Ts (For Sale!)[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/shocked.gif[/img]
'99 S-10 2.2L 2WD 5 Speed Totally Stock [img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/frown.gif[/img]

'88 Kawasaki Mojave (FOR SALE)[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/cool.gif[/img]
post #8 of (permalink) Old 04-01-2001, 02:34 PM

I'll be damned if I"m going to ever mount my spare underneath the vehicle. On my way over to my sisters wedding i blew a tire. Of course i was in dress clothes and it was rainy and muddy outside. I keep a real flrro jack in the truck so that part wasn;t the problem, but the spare hadn't been used in about 10yrs. all i ever did to it wsa check the air. I spent about an hour with my leatherman to cut off the framework that holds it up. damn near missed the wedding. now a days the spare is always in the bed.
---Peacock

<font color=red>If it hasn't broken, let your girlfriend drive it...it'll break real quick</font color=red>
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode