rattle, RattlE, RATTLE... I'm going nuts in my ZR2 - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
GM Small Trucks & SUV's All discussion of S-Class Trucks and SUV's

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 03-26-2001, 10:31 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

rattle, RattlE, RATTLE... I\'m going nuts in my ZR2

I'm slowly going insane as I drive my `96 ZR2. There is a rattling noise coming from the driver's side front (I think). This little demon only manifests itself when the truck is in motion, and it started about a week or two after I installed a set of Rancho RS5000 shocks. It seems to be the worst just driving down the street up to about 40 MPH - little bumps that you normally wouldn't even feel cause this kind of stone in a tin can sound. And it's really sporatic... won't hear it for a couple minutes, then it's back again. I don't think I've ever heard it on the highway.

After the noise first came about, I yanked the front tires and torqued the h#ll out of the shock bolts on both sides. This helped for about a day or so... then the noise came back with a vengeance.

Today I jacked up the front of the truck and checked things out a bit. The shocks seem tight and the bolts aren't loose. I grabbed the top and bottom of the tire and tried to wiggle - no slop. When I grabbed the front and rear of the tire and shook the tire as it would move during steering, it moved quite a bit (both front tires in the air, steering wheel locked). I can, however, see the steering components moving back and forth as I move the tire like this.

Any ideas? Do you guys think it's something with the shocks, steering stabilizer, ball joints (replaced ~2 years ago), anything???

Thanks,

QA

<font color=blue>Daddy always said that a Phord is about as useful as a shovel with a rope handle.</font color=blue> [img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/wink.gif[/img]
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 03-26-2001, 11:58 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Re: rattle, RattlE, RATTLE... I\'m going nuts in my ZR2

how much pay do you have in your steering box, you said thngs were moving but your steering wheel was locked...
souns to me your steering box might be loose!!

Tim

88 blazer
Like A Rock
post #3 of (permalink) Old 03-27-2001, 11:10 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

It could be the steering box - with the amount of movement I saw with the steering components, that might be the culprit. How do you check for play in the steering box? Can I tighten up the steering box as can be done on older Chevy trucks (the allen screw on top of the box)? How could the steering box cause the rattle? Sorry for all the questions.

I think I need to have someone hold the steering wheel and do the same test again. Even with the wheel locked, you can still turn it a little bit either way.

The truck has always been a bit loose. Driving on the highway the truck drifts big time when I hit a stiff crosswind. This rattle is one of those noises that just gets under your skin...

<font color=blue>Daddy always said that a Phord is about as useful as a shovel with a rope handle.</font color=blue> [img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/wink.gif[/img]
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 03-27-2001, 01:44 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

I'd be willing to bet the drifting and looseness up front is the pitman arm and/or idler arm. I have had these go on my 84' S-10 and that's my job for Friday on my 94'. The thing is.....it doesn't make noise at all, let alone the strange noise described in the original post.

"Ride it like you stole it!"
post #5 of (permalink) Old 03-27-2001, 07:07 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

The movement of the steering components and the drifting sounds like the pitman arm to me..... Not sure what would make that noise though.. Maybe a bad wheel bearing? what about a loose brake caliper? I am not sure about on your year but on my 83' my RS5000's mount upside down. They say its because of the clearance needed for the CV shaft to clear the shock (although it did not appear to be a problem on mine) maybe its knicking something?
Good Luck with it

Nick
[email protected]
83' s10 extended cab 4x4 supercharged 2.8l v6
post #6 of (permalink) Old 03-27-2001, 09:26 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

I have a 96 ZR2, also and when I installed Rancho 5000's on mine. I had a rattle up front just like your discribing. I found out that the steele sleave that goes inside the rubber bushing was a bit bigger then the shock bolt. Then everytime I hit a bump there it was the bolt slopping around in there, so I put the one out of the stock shocks in the Rancho. No problems after that.

post #7 of (permalink) Old 03-27-2001, 09:30 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Oh, as for that movement up front. I have that same thing you are discribing. I also changed ball joints and the idler are and the upper and lower control arm bushings. Guess what its still there. I think that its just the way it is.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode