Fiberglass Fenders - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
GM Small Trucks & SUV's All discussion of S-Class Trucks and SUV's

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 03-23-2001, 06:41 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Fiberglass Fenders

I've been looking around and pricing a few front fiberglass fenders. I have one question though. What happens with the inner fender when you install one of these larger fenders? The inner fender is what comes in contact the most with oversize tires, so something must be done about it or the flared fenders would be worthless. Is the inner fender just scrapped, and the engine left to the mud, snow, and water thrown up by the tires? Just thought I'd check this out to see if the $260 investment was worth it.

Heath Bringham
'92 Chevy S10 2WD
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 03-24-2001, 12:04 PM

Re: Fiberglass Fenders

It honestly depends on the application you got. One thing I was told is that the left and right fenders actually SUPPORT the front end, thereby also needing some kind of support for the front. Probably need to runn bars to the firewall to do it or something; I'm not sure.

What you might need to do is put a "patch" between the fender well and your new fender. Some cut sheet metal or something.

Other fender types are just bolt in, meaning they are only bulged out bigger at the fender lip, and share the same bolt pattern and everything.

Do you have photos or something of these fenders? What do the instructions say? Have you asked the company that made your molds?

J.R. [img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/cool.gif[/img]

http://members.nbci.com/desertride/index.htm
post #3 of (permalink) Old 03-24-2001, 06:10 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

I haven't purchased any fenders yet, but the ones I am looking at are from Duffco. I'm not quite sure on the dimensions, I think its something like 3" flare and 4" wider. Anyway, they are a bolt on model. They look simply like a body panel with no inner fender. I was just wondering what happens to the inner fender. There are probably no after market fender liners or anything are there? I'm just trying to find a way to stuff some bigger tires under there without lifting it anymore. I've got so much room above the tire, it's just that the tires about touch the fender front and back. I've considered fender trimming, but I'm worried I'd make it look like scrap! Would I lose the inner fender if I did trimming instead of fiberglass?

Heath Bringham
'92 Chevy S10 2WD
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 03-28-2001, 07:06 PM

From what I've heard Duffco is a good place to be at... I would ask them directly how they think you should handle it.

There are many types of fenders out there which will let you keep the existing fender wells. Personally I don't like cutting them, becuase I've seen many problems with mud and water getting into a carbed full size without fender wells; it just makes me leary to do that.

As far as I know there are no aftermarket fender liners out there. I may be wrong...

Normally a bulged out fender is only going to give you more room <-- --> outward. This will allow a wider tire without breaking laws or crunching up paint from thrown rocks, etc...

Anyway, I would check with Duffco to see what they can do!

J.R. [img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/cool.gif[/img]

http://members.nbci.com/desertride/index.htm
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode